Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Joejoe8455
    Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am

I just started my 4G tonight, does anyone have some good advice or vids? Also I think I was trying to weld to high and wasn't very sturdy, what do y'all think about height?
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Find something to prop on if not sturdy. As for height don't make it too far away. Should be where you can comfortably burn a rod all the way to the end without struggling. Use a tight arc or you will get porosity and perhaps a glob weld. Just think of it as welding flat only upside down
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

If you can, keep your elbows tucked into your rib cage. For now, start your weld close to you, and move away. This will allow you to see how much fill you have. But don't get in the habit of this! You'll have to know how to weld in all direction. Welding towards you is a little harder to see the amount of fill, because the rod is in your line of sight.
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Open butt or backing plate?
I have a soldering iron!
Joejoe8455

1/2 inch gap backing plate
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I prefer to run a li'l hot, compared to a flat weld, and I also prefer to "push" the rod about 10-15*, when possible. You'll find your own rythym with practice.

Steve S
Dblcorona
    Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:30 pm

I always have to remind the students that overhead doesn't mean it has to be over your head. Don't reach for it. I like to duck down a bit to get under. Tight arc gap and not much angle. You really have to find what's comfortable for you. I tend to be pretty perpendicular to the plate where some like a bit of a push like Otto said or a tiny drag.
Joejoe8455

Yea I've gone through two practice plates already I'm getting a little better it's just more of a learning curve then the two other positions I'm hoping to have it down by the latest wensday and start testing by the end of the week