Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Adam's Got Skills wrote:Well I got the backing plate off!!! An looked pretty good to me. Is that bender pretty tough? I think it'd b a nice addition to my arsenal of tools. Does it work on thicker steel?
Works up to 1/4" flat, 1/2" round bar - have not tried anything thicker than that.
I also use the picket twister attachment and scroll attachment for decorative work and railings.

And since it's bolted to the floor, I also make attachments for it when I have the need.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Well im welding on 1/2" plate with a 1/4" backing plate...now im not sure if it's right as for a plate test i just saw a video on the website and i had 1/2", 1/4", 3/16", & 1/8"...so that's what i decided to try. I built a simple stand to practice all positions. I still wanna get one of those regardless. Id like to b able to bend square tubing an round stock...cuz while i been getting ready for school I've been picking up some extra side jobs and I'd done a hand rail for someone an now i have 3 more people that want one
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

For heavier work just copy the design with thicker materials and you're all set :)

I've made several heavy benders over the years that bolt to my welding table and use 6' handles - as long as you know what you want to do, you can build it.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Here's the AWS jig for bending...
(if the attachment works)
test_jig.jpg
test_jig.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 902 times
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steve,
Isn't there a no photocopy or reproduce clause in that specification? ;)
He is going to need the side view as well.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Here is the full fixture.
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (118.77 KiB) Viewed 543 times
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

Saw out your test strips and then scarf off the backing with oxy-fuel being careful not to gouge the root. If you can break them off with a hammer and chisel the weld would fail anyway because the root pass is supposed to fuse all three pieces together.

Kevin
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Well it's definitely fused!! The one I did it took a while. I grinded out the center careful not to go to deep, and then bent em till they snapped off. It took forever
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

Just get you one of the scarfing tips.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk