Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

We have been working on taking various welder qualifications of late and I just finished this 6G 6" sch 80 up and thought I would share. While it is not absolutely perfect, I am proud of it, especially considering I don't weld pipe everyday. I am not exactly sure of the amps but I believe the 6010 root was around 80 amps and 7018 around 110 amps. It has been fun practicing SMAW pipe but the sad thing is we don't weld our pipe SMAW everyday, the brass wants certs for bragging rights so here they are.
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG (111.6 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG (107.34 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG (110.43 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Cover passes.
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo (8).JPG
photo (8).JPG (112.03 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
photo (7).JPG
photo (7).JPG (110.43 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG (103.42 KiB) Viewed 1807 times

....and root. I am not to pleased with my left side but I believe it will be "bought".
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo (6).JPG
photo (6).JPG (119.85 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
Justjake85
    Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:05 am

Very nice! Looks good. Are you going to bend test?

Justjake85 wrote:Very nice! Looks good. Are you going to bend test?
Jake,
Yes, we are taking around 21 tests up for bend/x-ray. Will keep you posted on the results.
-Jonathan
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Jonathan,

I think that'll pass. I don't see a thing wrong. Like you, I'd pick myself to death over details, but it'll be fine.

Steve S

Steve,
Thank you very much! I was especially proud of the fill passes. I probably burned 10-15 lbs of electrodes just practicing on a piecs of pipe getting the muscle memory down. I personally feel that did more good than using new coupons every time.

Now I start the fun ones, 2" XXS SA106 SMAW and GTAW to ASME 9 specs. I did my first practice piece yesterday and it actually was not terrible but not passable. I am a little more nervous about these as they are x-ray and bend, not to mention each one is almost $500 so if I fail one it will get expensive fast!!
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote: Now I start the fun ones, 2" XXS SA106 SMAW and GTAW to ASME 9 specs... I am a little more nervous about these as they are x-ray and bend, not to mention each one is almost $500 so if I fail one it will get expensive fast!!
-Jonathan
Yeah, I know that "heart in the throat" thought... "How much will a F$%K up here cost the company?"

The last time I did a Saturday to wait for the x-ray crew, if I had failed even one, it would have cost at least $15K, considering rework time and "failure to perform" penalties.

I STILL get that lump in the throat, while waiting on an X-ray I know will pass, because everyone busts one now and then...

If you've never screwed up, you're not working hard enough.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote: Now I start the fun ones, 2" XXS SA106 SMAW and GTAW to ASME 9 specs... I am a little more nervous about these as they are x-ray and bend, not to mention each one is almost $500 so if I fail one it will get expensive fast!!
-Jonathan
Yeah, I know that "heart in the throat" thought... "How much will a F$%K up here cost the company?"

The last time I did a Saturday to wait for the x-ray crew, if I had failed even one, it would have cost at least $15K, considering rework time and "failure to perform" penalties.

I STILL get that lump in the throat, while waiting on an X-ray I know will pass, because everyone busts one now and then...

If you've never screwed up, you're not working hard enough.

Steve S
I agree.
-Jonathan

I PASSED!!! YIPPIE!!! 8-) This pipe was used to set up the PQR/WPS which means it had everything done to it. I ended up dropping off 4 of my tests and all of them passed. I should be picking them up Monday and will be dropping 4 more off. Man that's a load off my mind!
-Jonathan

Superiorwelding wrote:I PASSED!!! YIPPIE!!! 8-) This pipe was used to set up the PQR/WPS which means it had everything done to it. I ended up dropping off 4 of my tests and all of them passed. I should be picking them up Monday and will be dropping 4 more off. Man that's a load off my mind!
-Jonathan
Congratulations!

It's the nature of the beast to doubt yourself, but skill and experience will win (almost) every time.

I have my heart in my throat every time my welds are tested, not matter how sure I am of what I've done.

Good on ya!

Steve S
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

2nd best feeling in welding is passing xray

Just behind being paid!
Dancing with the blue lady

We picked up our test pieces today. Here are the bends and pull tests for the 6" pipe.

I was thinking today, maybe it is a good idea too move these tests to the certification section? Might be easier to find in the future.
-Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.1 KiB) Viewed 1016 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.72 KiB) Viewed 1016 times

Ok guys, I have a EXCELLENT job opportunity and was called in for a weld test. All tests will be x-ray and will start with this 6" 6G pipe test and if I pass that I come back and take the 2" XXS SA106 pipe test I also posted (I knew this was coming up thus one reason we chose these tests ;) ) the 2" will first be SMAW and then GTAW. I have never taken a x-ray test before and none of these were x-rayed. I "think" I will be fine on the SMAW tests but absolutely suck on the GTAW test. I have practiced the tig a few times and my left side really is bad.

So here is my question; from what you see, what could I do different or advise on passing a x-ray test. I am a little nervous and the first test is Oct 14 so I am sure I will get those butterflies as it gets closer.

This will be for the local pipe fitter/ boilermakers union. Never been in or looked at unions before. I know better than to ask the pros and cons on union in public but if someone wants to post real advise I would appreciate it. If not send a PM.
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

What little I've heard about the US unions is that they demand a very high quality in their tests.

Mick.

Superiorwelding wrote:

So here is my question; from what you see, what could I do different or advise on passing a x-ray test. I am a little nervous and the first test is Oct 14 so I am sure I will get those butterflies as it gets closer.

-Jonathan
Are the latest bend/pull tests the ones you're referring to?

My ASME IX test was "no pressure", as I did the coupon at my leisure at work, and sent it off. I did not have a "proctor" looking over my shoulder who could "look" me out on the root, which took a lot of pressure off.

Give us some more details for the test you'll take the 14th, and the advice will improve...

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:

-Jonathan
Are the latest bend/pull tests the ones you're referring to?

My ASME IX test was "no pressure", as I did the coupon at my leisure at work, and sent it off. I did not have a "proctor" looking over my shoulder who could "look" me out on the root, which took a lot of pressure off.

Give us some more details for the test you'll take the 14th, and the advice will improve...

Steve S
The great thing about all these recent tests was the fact that there was "no pressure" at least while taking them. I did have the guys watching me on occasion but I generally don't get nervous when watched.
Yes, this is the exact test to get in the door. They give this 6" 6G test as the gate keeper so to speak. It is a visual only test and the only difference between the one I took and the one they give is the direction of root. I did downward progression while they require up. No big deal really just a change in gap and amperage. Pending passing the visual 6", I move on to two 2" tests, both of which are x-ray. Again, having never taken a x-ray myself so I guess my main concern is how hard is it to pass and are there any tricks? I helped on some ASME 9 GMAW tests a few years ago that failed x-ray 3 times so I am a little concerned (I was not the guy pulling the trigger).

I am always on the look out for new opportunities so I am giving this one a look. Not sure if I will take it (if I pass anyway) but it is foolish not to consider all options.
-Jonathan

X-ray sees the following clearly:

Inclusions. Lack of fusion. Lack of root penetration.

That's about it... The x-ray will see clearly any slag you missed, any place you didn't fuse completely (tie-ins at tacks and start-stops for example), and how much internal reinforcement your root provides...

The radiographers look for sharp lines (lof), straight lines (lop), and "dots" than can be inclusions or porosity, as well as the depth of the root penetration.

Steve S