Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
welderjon63
    Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:46 pm

I have to take two 6G pipe tests on 1/2" shed 40. It is for a power plant position. The first is 7018 root and cap. The second is tig root and 7018 cap. Both are xrayed. I wanted to practice before I tested, but I don't have a WPS on the test. I don't know what they allow for filler, but it seems to me that I would have to use 1/16" 7018. Tiny shit.. Also, I dont know what the prep angles should be on the pipe. Seems like 75 degrees is too wide. Any ideas would be appreciated.
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

i weld similar pipes like this when making stainless steel manifolds..idk what "code" is but i can tell you the way i weld it and the way the rest of the manifold industry welds it...

i use a filler thats smaller than 1/6... .045 is what i like the best, it can be done with 1/16 but i find it "blobs" off and its harder to control the puddle on something so small, this is also stainless...so idk if this will even pertain to what you are doing

as for the bevel. deep and narrow, i use zero lip on the bevel for maximum penetration

this stuff might not even help you but thats how i do it on stainless sch40 pipe
welderjon63

I don't know if 7018 goes below 1/16".... Thanks for the suggestions
gurew

it does indeed go below 1/16 i know that for a fact
welderjon63

I got a reply from the guy at the power plant. He said the electrode size is 3/32. Not to crazy about that because the wall thickness on the pipe is only .110"
gurew

that is the correct electrode size i use, just use a smaller filler, if this is stainless, i would weld it at 110 amps taking your time and feeding filler to control puddle size, general rule of thumb with stainless sch40 is 5 beads at a time to keep color...i personally would do the same with mildsteel :)
welderjon63

It is 7018 3/32" on carbon pipe not stainless. Yup, for tig wire that's fine.