Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I am not sure about what section to post this in but I just bought a Lincoln buzz box but I don't know a lot about it. I know that it is and older machine but I'm looking to find out how old it is and possible see if I can find a manual for it online to assist me when I take it apart and clean it before I hook it up. I am unsure if it works and the price makes it a risk worth taking. He said he ran it about a year ago and it was fine plus I showed my instructor and was informed that they are virtually indestructible due to how old it is and not having a mother board/all the electronics like the newer machines have. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it is sideways, can't figure out how to spin it right side up.
20150622_171246.jpg
20150622_171246.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Welcome, TSchmitt! Those transformers are bullet-proof. I had a Miller crackerbox that sat in my brother's barn for years; I had to clean a mouse nest out and lube the fan but it ran fine after that. You should prolly do the same: open the case, clean out the mud dobbers or whatever else had moved in, and do whatever routine maintenance is suggested. (On my Miller the maintenance was to lube the amp selector mechanism, not sure what your Lincoln requires.

You can run that off the electric dryer circuit at the house, if you don't have a 220v circuit already.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
Artie F. Emm

PS Here's a site to download the manual:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/su ... nuals.aspx
Dave
aka "RTFM"
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks for the link, I didn't know I could run it of the dryer outlet. I have been looking all week for a manual so I could clean it. Guess I know what I will be doing this weekend.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI

tschmitt wrote: Sorry it is sideways, can't figure out how to spin it right side up.
If you're using a windows PC you can RIGHT click on the photo and select the appropriate rotation to make it "right side up"
menu1.jpg
menu1.jpg (44.4 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Richard
Website
Artie F. Emm

tschmitt wrote:I didn't know I could run it of the dryer outlet.
I've been lucky that the laundry room in two consecutive houses has had a window near enough to my work area. I made an extension cord with a dryer plug at one end and a NEMA 6-50 receptacle at the other end (because my welder has 6-50 plug). You'll need to match a plug for your dryer outlet (3-wire or 4-wire) and a receptacle for your welder, using a cable with wires stout enough for the task. All do-able at the Lowes or Home Deep.
Dave
aka "RTFM"