Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

hey guys just a quick question on 7018, what would make it spit and sputter and not catch a good arc?
dono if my rod got wet or what but even runnin flat that shit just keeps dropping fuckin dingleberries and not making a solid arc.
wasn't having this problem at all 2 weeks ago.
no rust or slag on the metal im welding.
heat is fine
it's also sticking like a son of a bitch.
i've used 7018 for years and never had problems like this so im getting really irritated.
it's ground through some grease but i wiggledit around and stuck it good and tight. was using 6010 and that was running like a dream so
i don't think it's the ground.
any thoughts would be great
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Try putting several pieces in your oven for an hour at 350+ degrees. That should tell you if they got wet. Apparently, they can just absorb humidity.

You could also try buying a small amount of 7018 and see if the problem continues with the fresh rod.
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

either wet rod or try grinding and cleaning a bit where your grounding. hope this helps.

Anthony
torn7th
    Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 am

99% they got damp or wet . Also and not being a smartass by anymeans but always have a CLEAN ground. 7018's are bad if theyve gotten wet...You want real bad try a 6011 thats absorbed moisture..Yeah might as well set off a roman candle lol :mrgreen:
robertnz
    Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:22 am

that answers my question.... wet flux.....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Let's hope it's wet flux.

I've actually welded with visibly wet 7018 and didn't have any real trouble. I suspect it's possible the machine has a bad diode. Take GWD's advice and dry some rod in the oven. If this doesn't solve the problem, suspect the machine. A bad diode wouldn't have a very noticable effect with 6010. I've even welded that rod on an AC machine like 6011, and it didn't perform poorly.

Good luck,

Steve
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

How old is it? If its really old like Moses it could have lost its glue.
harleyotto

that answers my question too,i can't solve it
At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.Blancpain Watches
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

What kind of machine are you runnin" ? One time I forgot to switch my leads on my Trailblazer from mig to stick and was stick welding on CV instead of CC and it was similar to what you described.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
m_a_r_c_u_s
    Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:12 am

Check to make sure you aren't running on straight polarity DCEN instead of reverse DCEP, it will cause a sputtering in 7018 and will gouge. its an easy mistake and can happen when setting up in a hurry. just another thought.