Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
wirelessrat
    Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 am

I am trying to weld some lower cab corners on an old 89 Chevy silverado. I am using a 7109 or a 6011 (cant really make it out) rod/stick with which will burn a hole in about anything I touch with this thing. Can anyone tell me what rod I need to get to pull off this tedious weld and the amp setting. I would appreciate it....I am burning holes in everything and it frustrating to no end. :x

Attached an image of the welder.

Thank You,
The Rat
Attachments
welder.jpg
welder.jpg (7.22 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

who told you bodywork can be done with stick? Mig or fluxcore or oxy.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

You are goimg to have an extremely difficult time making the repair with a stick welder, if it's even possible. You need at the very least a small mig machine to be moderately successful. If you must use stick, use the smallest 6013 rod you can, And GOOD LUCK
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
wirelessrat

no one told me I could..."I'm new! I dont know what I'm doing!"-Joe Dirt-Drilling for Oil

I bought this welder about 8 years ago and thought it would burn up to a certain thickness and did not know materials must be at least XX for this welder to not disintegrate the metal/material.

I was hoping the rods I was using were simply too big so I thought I would ask the experts here.

I did see some aluminum welding rods or sticks and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on those for my application.

Thanks, I will grab a few 6013s and see what happens...if I could even get 10-15 good spots on each cab corner I would be happy, but as I am currently setup I am afraid to even begin until I can get as close to optimal rod and settting as I can with this welder.
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Dont let these guys get you down. body work will be harder with a stick welder, but what do you think people did before mig welders huh?

If you have a harbour frieght nearby, go there and pick up some 1/16 welding rods. i think you should use 6011, but a halfass substitute is 6013(this rod will be easier to weld with but it is difficult to produce good welds). set the machine at 60 amps, and go up rom there.

also, dont try to run a long bead on the thin body sheet metal, just go for a series of closely placed spot welds, or whatever you need.

!And flame on!

hope this helps,

-Rick
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

try a whipping motion, start your puddle then flick your rod forward about a half inch or so and then back to about 1/2 way through your puddle without losing your arc.. pretty tricky at first but once u get the hang of it its not bad at all. the first puddle should cool by the time you get back in because 6011 freezes fast. result should look like a stack of times tipped over. if your still burning holes then just do a series of a bunch of tacks. this will be ugly though.
if you've got a cutting torch you can use it as an oxy-acetylene welder.. just go buy some steel rod and do it up with that. figure that would be your best bet for really thin metal.
wirelessrat

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am now using 3/32" (6011) that have been stored since I joined the military in 2002, so that is part of my prob it seems. I even burned a hole in some new exhaust and muffler pipes, but did get the pipes tacked securely, now just fill in the small holes later. Dang I could do skyscraper demolition with this welder/cutting torch :lol:

Now that I put the new exhaust on I have an old muffler and can practice with.

Not too worried about the look of the welds as I will have to bondo over the welds regardless of how they look. I am really concerned with getting several good spots that will securely hold the lower cab corners in place.

What is the difference in the low and high setting on this old welder I have?
dustelf

http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/e ... ode-chart/

you have a chart here, it says that only 6010 can be used with an AC machine like you have
it also says they don't make it in 1/16 , maybe you can find from other store

some time ago i did some bodywork on a Fleetside, the damn thing had more rust then steel, i remember the back corners of the cabin to be thicker then other parts(this is what you want welded???) , so maybe it can be done with a 1/16 but not easy.

dustelf wrote:http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/e ... ode-chart/

you have a chart here, it says that only 6010 can be used with an AC machine like you have
it also says they don't make it in 1/16 , maybe you can find from other store
Am not trying to offend you, but the chart says that all rod can be used with that machine except 6010.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit

rickbreezy wrote:Dont let these guys get you down. body work will be harder with a stick welder, but what do you think people did before mig welders huh?

If you have a harbour frieght nearby, go there and pick up some 1/16 welding rods. i think you should use 6011, but a halfass substitute is 6013(this rod will be easier to weld with but it is difficult to produce good welds).
Just because you cant weld with 6013 doesn't classify it as a half ass substitute. Sorry for your lack of skill.
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
dustelf

jpence38 wrote: Am not trying to offend you, but the chart says that all rod can be used with that machine except 6010.
damn, i get things wrong sometimes , you're right. :oops:
wirelessrat

I found some 6011 1/16" and some 6013 5/64 at TSC, but have not received the cab corners yet. I think I will be able to pull this off with the 5/64...I will try making very short runs...damn I need to get this thing done soon :!:

I am sure I will have to work them with the hand grinder and bondo after the weld...might end up looking like a spiral binder notebook. :lol:
shadey
    Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:33 pm

I have a similar problem but noticed that eastwood do a stitch welder attachment for arc welders. It inverts the electricity and works at about 40amps and is used in the UK for car restoration (I am told) I am a beginner too and have posted on this site for some info. :mrgreen:
anthonyfawley
    Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:58 pm

jpence38 wrote:
rickbreezy wrote:Dont let these guys get you down. body work will be harder with a stick welder, but what do you think people did before mig welders huh?

If you have a harbour frieght nearby, go there and pick up some 1/16 welding rods. i think you should use 6011, but a halfass substitute is 6013(this rod will be easier to weld with but it is difficult to produce good welds).
Just because you cant weld with 6013 doesn't classify it as a half ass substitute. Sorry for your lack of skill.
now thats just some funny shit
wirelessrat

anthonyfawley wrote:
jpence38 wrote:

now thats just some funny shit
I find it funny a flame has arisen over 6011 and 6013...but I am clearly a novice who does not know the difference, so....

I did read something about reversing polarity, but did not read into it enough to try it out.

I do, however, appreciate all the input.

The trick to it is making very small welds, practically a continuous line of tack welds. You do not want to put any more heat in the parts you are welding than is absolutely necessary. Too much heat and you'll find yourself trying to pull out or push in the expanded part of sheet metal. Good luck
Jim
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit