Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Puritan
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Testing overhead next week. 6010 root with 7018 filler and caps. The BIGGEST problem I am having is with visibility. For some reason whenever I weld overhead (any process) there are points throughout the weld that I lose sight of everything but the arc and hence I cant tell where I'm going.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so what were some of things you tried to improve your visibility.
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

i got a new mask and it REALLY helped my visibility but since that's probably not an option... have you tried putting new lenses on yours? i wouldn't test without brand new lenses inside and out. Also you might turn the shade down some if that's an option on your mask, not too low though or you'll start flashing your eyes a little. hope that helps
Puritan

I've got a pretty decent welding hood. (Optrel Satelite) The lens is could be changed, but I'm thinking its something else. I dunno I'm thinking this might be a unique situation so I'll post whenver I determine the problem and solution.
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

maybe you get some reflection light under the hood .
BurninRod
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:08 pm

not the best way to go about it but sometimes if you you really can't see shit except the tip of your rod you can let your arc out a little bit just to get a peak at your edges. if your quick and direct you shouldn't get any spatter. just lengthen the arc for a glance. Shouldn't have to do this unless your totally desperate though.. just figured i'd throw the idea out there
hammerwelds
    Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

i would turn the machine OFF, load a rod on the stinger and figure out what position you can use without your hood on. if you have to bring the peice down or step on a stool or something and put your head right at the end of the test peice and run the rod right at your face. just figure out what is most comfortable for you and where you'll be able to see when your rod and hands are at different levels before you start welding. if you cant find where you can see no matter what when your hans get closer to the peice, then stop and get a new rod, or reposition yourself, what ever works best for you
Turnaround
    Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I am older than dirt, and cheater lenses (and drug store glasses) do not really let me see the puddle. I had my racer buddy/eye doctor prescribe single focus eyeglasses that are focussed at 12", which is about where my head and eyes are away from the weld. I have a bunch of astigmatism - and maybe more normal folks do not need anything as drastic. I can tell you that at 73 years old, I can now see all the way around the puddle and how it is melting the base metal. In my previous life, I was basically guessing about the puddle and whether I was wetting both sides of the weld. Wasn't unually to run a bead with 6013 or 7014 and have slag all the way down the middle of the bead. Now I can even see the subleties of flux especially 7018 with its flux floating around the wet puddle. I know as soon as the arc lights off if I have forgotten to put my glasses on. Using a fifteen year old Jackson hat, and welding for about 12 months with these glasses, I can say that there are no splatter marks on the lenses yet which is surprising because my bald head feels sparks sometime. I can barely walk across the floor with these glasses. If you are in your fifties (or later), spend the money and buy a pair of glasses like I have.
Puritan

First off...my bad on the thread title. It should have been 4G not 4F.
I used a backhand technique and pulled the rod to me to help with visibility. Passed the test.
I'm finishing up my state unlimited thickness 4G cert. test strips now. Today is my last day of class.......now I need employment.