Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Stick_Welder_Steve
    Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Louie1961 wrote:There have been a lot of old round top AC/DC Lincoln Idealarc 250's on Craigslist as of late, and they are pretty cheap...a couple of hundred bucks usually. You will not find a better stick welder for the money. Everyone you ask seems to love their arc quality. If stick is your thing, I am not sure how you pass one of these by.
Wow you live in CT? Haha I live in East Hartford but I go to a manchester tech school for my trade (welding) ;)
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

Heh, yeah. Too bad, you missed a couple of smoking deals recently.

I would offer this guy $500 for this machine. http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/5340708732.html

This is the newer version of the same machine. Again I would try to talk him down http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hvo/5374513835.html

This one is a rebadged Miller. Not a bad machine if you can get it for a few bucks less. http://southcoast.craigslist.org/tls/5348509252.html

same for this one http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/5356417854.html

Any of these would set you up quite well for stick welding practice, and there isn't much to break on these. They are bullet-proof transformers for the most part.
Multimatic 255

This is an interesting welder if you have the means to move it and the space in the garage for it. TIG and Stick. Again, don't pay asking price. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/5343007972.html

Always test the welder before handing over the cash. But you can get a very nice welder for not a lot of money if you look around Craigslist enough.

all of these welders are professional grade stuff, not really consumer grade, so they will do well for you in your practice. They are not under powered either. You would have to work pretty hard to hit the duty cycle limit on one of these
Multimatic 255
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice welder choices Louie :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Trying to do a solid for a fellow nutmegger. Hate to see a young guy in school spend more than he needs to.
Multimatic 255
Stick_Welder_Steve
    Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm

Louie1961 wrote:Trying to do a solid for a fellow nutmegger. Hate to see a young guy in school spend more than he needs to.
I will look into those links tomorrow if I do end up buying a welder for practice it will most likely be used unless I win the lottery :lol:
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

soutthpaw wrote:Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

True but only for large output. I run my Airco on a 60 amp circuit up to 230 amps AC tig.

My Dialarc 250 usually runs on a 50 amp breaker - for 1/8" and 5/32" electrodes I've had no problems.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

True but only for large output. I run my Airco on a 60 amp circuit up to 230 amps AC tig.

My Dialarc 250 usually runs on a 50 amp breaker - for 1/8" and 5/32" electrodes I've had no problems.
Yeah they seem to do okay to 5/32. The 330ABP/Airco is power factor corrected so it needs a lot less juice than say a Dialarc unless it's the HFP version. You get about 165 more amps over a Dialarc for about the same power draw.

Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

So what? I just checked the Lincoln and Miller web sites for the owner's manuals. The Idealarc and the Dialarc both draw a max of 73 amps...not a huge difference. Lincoln recommends wiring with 8 gauge conductor and Miller recommends wiring with 6 gauge conductor. Breakers are cheap, it is the wire that makes a 240 volt circuit expensive. In either case, 8 gauge or 6 gauge will not break the bank. Most dryer circuits are wired with 10 gauge, and most range circuits are wired with 8 gauge. Either would get him by, he just couldn't crank it up to 250 amps, which he probably doesn't need to do for his intended purpose.

Everyone seems to think you have to use 1 gauge or 2 gauge wire for a 100 amp circuit, but that isn't the case for a dedicated welder circuit. The electric code allows for overrating the breaker size relative to the conductor size depending on the duty cycle of the welder. Plus, if you don't max out the welder, its probably not an issue anyway. I ran my Syncrowave on a 50 amp breaker, up to ~200 amps for a long time with no issues.
Multimatic 255
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Not for stick welding.
I ran my 2 Idealarc 250s and SW250 on a 50amp 230 line and was able to weld 250-300amps just fine.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Stick_Welder_Steve: Here's another good one...good price http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/5381153761.html

A bit of a drive, see if he will knock off $100 for gas money
Multimatic 255
fmagalhaes
    Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Merry Christmas to you.

What kind of welder are you looking for?
What stuff are you gonna weld?
To answer your question.. I will be welding up a steel Sailboat about 40 feet in length. I was leaning toward the Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Any advice from you old salts out there is welcome.

Many thanks from a Rookie