Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Stick_Welder_Steve
    Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Honestly I feel a used machine is a good value.
Your not gonna be using it for a business, just for practicing I take it.

New a Invertec is $2500.
Used is $500 to $1000.
A miller XMT 304 is $3500 new, but can be found for $1000-$1500 used.

If it welds good, buy it.
I've bought dozens upon dozens that way.
Infact I was just on the online website and saw an invertec 350 for 4,800k, so I will probably buy one used like you said. As for the XMT have you ever managed to get your hands on one and if so do you think it rivals the Invertec?
Last edited by Stick_Welder_Steve on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

BTW,

"You might be a welder if..."

You think red states and blue states refer to the popularity of Lincoln vs. Miller.... :roll:

Steve S
Stick_Welder_Steve

AKweldshop wrote:
Stick_Welder_Steve wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:I will second the recommendation of the Invertec 275. It's performance exceeds it's ratings.

The Miller XMT series is very similar in features and performance.

I'd price both, new and used, in your area, and talk to your local weld supply about whether red or blue has better/faster/closer service in your area should you have trouble. New with warranty, or used, fast reliable service adds value to whatever machine you choose.

Steve S
Do you know if they still sell the XMT on the Miller online store or would I have to look for a used unit?

Don't buy from the miller online store.
Your LWS or some other online store like Cyberweld or others of the like. Much cheaper.
Yes you can buy them brand new, but they are everywhere used for a fraction of the cost.

If you like eBay I could find some links for ya.
Some links to get me started off would be great!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I (and I suspect John, also) have far more experience with the Invertec than the XMT, so it's hard for me to give a fair comparison.

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Here's a decent xmt 304.
Lot's of deals on xmts and Invertecs show up on eBay weekly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILLER-XMT-304- ... Sw1S9WeJ1m

Yeah I used to own a XMT 304. Bought it for $750 and sold it a week later for $2000
I just stick welded with it, and side by side I think the Lincoln welded better with both 6010 and 7018.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Stick_Welder_Steve

Many thanks to both of you for getting me hooked up and headed in the right direction! I will continue to look for used machines and if I happen to have anymore questions I will be sure let you guys know ;)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Wanting AC sick really limits your choice of inverter machines. If almost consider a used buzz box Lincoln for $50 or so then focus on a DC sick machine that will do 98% of your welds.
Many great options then. I have an older Thermal Arc LM300 it stick welds really nicely. Made in Japan with sanrex components, the older TA line are some of the best made inverters on the market. Powcon brand was the first American made inverters and also stick weld really nice. Many all on the used market.
If you are primarily looking to practice, don't stop a bunch of con now, wait till you finish schooling and r making money then get what you need for the job. The Everlast 140st is an amazing little machine that is affordable, 5 year warranty, dual voltage. And makes a great machine to toss in your vehicle and go anywhere. A great 2nd machine and also makes a good basic tig also. 15 more Amps on DC Than the Lincoln buzz box and infinite voltage adjustment not tapped as the Lincoln is. There is the 160 if you need a little more amps, which would let you run 5/32 7018.
The ESAB 161 is a great ask unit also.
I've seen a lot of good feedback from some very skilled welders on the larger everlast powerarc 200 and 300 if you want a more industrial machine.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
Last edited by soutthpaw on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I like my Dialarc 250/250 if you don't need a light inverter - $250-400 will usually get you one used.

The lincoln idealarc is similar.

For inverters I have two lincoln invertecs, the v250s tig/stick and the 300 pro which also runs my wire feeder.
They both weld excellent and have high enough duty cycle for continuous heavy use like the Dialarc.

I had a miller maxstar 150s that I replaced with an ESAB 161.
Both weld fine, but are limited compared to the invertecs.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
soutthpaw

Oh, I forgot to add that Arcon welders are the new Powcon welders. Definitely industrial duty machines.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

There have been a lot of old round top AC/DC Lincoln Idealarc 250's on Craigslist as of late, and they are pretty cheap...a couple of hundred bucks usually. You will not find a better stick welder for the money. Everyone you ask seems to love their arc quality. If stick is your thing, I am not sure how you pass one of these by.
Multimatic 255
Stick_Welder_Steve

Louie1961 wrote:There have been a lot of old round top AC/DC Lincoln Idealarc 250's on Craigslist as of late, and they are pretty cheap...a couple of hundred bucks usually. You will not find a better stick welder for the money. Everyone you ask seems to love their arc quality. If stick is your thing, I am not sure how you pass one of these by.
Wow you live in CT? Haha I live in East Hartford but I go to a manchester tech school for my trade (welding) ;)

Heh, yeah. Too bad, you missed a couple of smoking deals recently.

I would offer this guy $500 for this machine. http://nwct.craigslist.org/tls/5340708732.html

This is the newer version of the same machine. Again I would try to talk him down http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hvo/5374513835.html

This one is a rebadged Miller. Not a bad machine if you can get it for a few bucks less. http://southcoast.craigslist.org/tls/5348509252.html

same for this one http://worcester.craigslist.org/tls/5356417854.html

Any of these would set you up quite well for stick welding practice, and there isn't much to break on these. They are bullet-proof transformers for the most part.
Multimatic 255

This is an interesting welder if you have the means to move it and the space in the garage for it. TIG and Stick. Again, don't pay asking price. http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/5343007972.html

Always test the welder before handing over the cash. But you can get a very nice welder for not a lot of money if you look around Craigslist enough.

all of these welders are professional grade stuff, not really consumer grade, so they will do well for you in your practice. They are not under powered either. You would have to work pretty hard to hit the duty cycle limit on one of these
Multimatic 255

Nice welder choices Louie :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Trying to do a solid for a fellow nutmegger. Hate to see a young guy in school spend more than he needs to.
Multimatic 255
Stick_Welder_Steve

Louie1961 wrote:Trying to do a solid for a fellow nutmegger. Hate to see a young guy in school spend more than he needs to.
I will look into those links tomorrow if I do end up buying a welder for practice it will most likely be used unless I win the lottery :lol:
soutthpaw

Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

soutthpaw wrote:Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

True but only for large output. I run my Airco on a 60 amp circuit up to 230 amps AC tig.

My Dialarc 250 usually runs on a 50 amp breaker - for 1/8" and 5/32" electrodes I've had no problems.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
soutthpaw

MinnesotaDave wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

True but only for large output. I run my Airco on a 60 amp circuit up to 230 amps AC tig.

My Dialarc 250 usually runs on a 50 amp breaker - for 1/8" and 5/32" electrodes I've had no problems.
Yeah they seem to do okay to 5/32. The 330ABP/Airco is power factor corrected so it needs a lot less juice than say a Dialarc unless it's the HFP version. You get about 165 more amps over a Dialarc for about the same power draw.

Louis, You forgot to add and the power to run it. . 100 amps for most transformers.

So what? I just checked the Lincoln and Miller web sites for the owner's manuals. The Idealarc and the Dialarc both draw a max of 73 amps...not a huge difference. Lincoln recommends wiring with 8 gauge conductor and Miller recommends wiring with 6 gauge conductor. Breakers are cheap, it is the wire that makes a 240 volt circuit expensive. In either case, 8 gauge or 6 gauge will not break the bank. Most dryer circuits are wired with 10 gauge, and most range circuits are wired with 8 gauge. Either would get him by, he just couldn't crank it up to 250 amps, which he probably doesn't need to do for his intended purpose.

Everyone seems to think you have to use 1 gauge or 2 gauge wire for a 100 amp circuit, but that isn't the case for a dedicated welder circuit. The electric code allows for overrating the breaker size relative to the conductor size depending on the duty cycle of the welder. Plus, if you don't max out the welder, its probably not an issue anyway. I ran my Syncrowave on a 50 amp breaker, up to ~200 amps for a long time with no issues.
Multimatic 255
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Not for stick welding.
I ran my 2 Idealarc 250s and SW250 on a 50amp 230 line and was able to weld 250-300amps just fine.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Stick_Welder_Steve: Here's another good one...good price http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/5381153761.html

A bit of a drive, see if he will knock off $100 for gas money
Multimatic 255
fmagalhaes
    Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:41 pm

AKweldshop wrote:Merry Christmas to you.

What kind of welder are you looking for?
What stuff are you gonna weld?
To answer your question.. I will be welding up a steel Sailboat about 40 feet in length. I was leaning toward the Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Any advice from you old salts out there is welcome.

Many thanks from a Rookie