Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
mb11743
    Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 am

I'm having trouble with my hot pass and cap passes running 1/8 7018 on my 6G pipe weld. 3/32 gap open butt. I just can't get the beads to lay nice and flat and they are all domed if even run where they're supposed to be ( :o ). The way my instructor told me to run those passes was the bend the rod while its in the stinger then to get as far down on the pipe as I can comfortably reach and the run up both sides of the pipe and rotate my wrist as I got up each side of the pipe. I'm left handed btw so I have more trouble running on the left side of the pipe (clockwise) from the bottom of the pipe. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
CHEMA CARDENAS
    Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 am

WHAT IS THE THICKNESS OF THE PIPE

USUALLY FOR JOINING THAT 3/32 GAP YOU SHOULD TRY A HIGH PENETRATION ROD. LIKE 6010 OR SIMILAR.

FOR YOUR HOT PASS TRY LINCOLN 7010 YOU SHOULD SEE THE DIFFERENCE RIGHT AWAY.

AND THE LAST PASS YOU SHOULD DO A LINCOLN 7018 TRY THIS AND COMENT ON IT

YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

BEST REWARDS
BLUE BLOOD
JAL1639
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Don't bend the electrode if you are not comfortable with it. Put the rod at a 90 degree angle to the pipe and try a small weave.
War Eagle!
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

are you putting a land on your bevel? with a 1/8 6010 root try about 80 to 85 amp. 1/8 7018 about 95 to 105 amp depending on machine and brand of rod. try not to carry too much metal at once. put more passes in if you need to. get as comfortable as you can. hard to do in that position, but thats the most important part.