Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
weldit321@gmail.com
    Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:52 pm

We started at TSTC with 6010 stringer beads and stacked them 50% overlapping with the previous bead It is a great way to start and the benifit is you can just weld the full plate one direction, and then turn it 90 degrees and fill it that direction. After a few layers each way you can either try a different position or a different electrode. It teaches you the importance of cleaning slag, how to run each bead how to start and terminate a weld. By the time we were finished with our plates they probably had easily 10 layers on each side.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Time to start doing some 90 degree fillet welds, start involving good rod angle with travel. There is an old timers trick with 7018 in the flat position. They would put the rod in the stinger at the correct angle strike an arc and just use finger and thumb to stabilize the bottom of the stinger. When done right/machine set right, the Lo-Hy will weld itself and the slag will peal up behind it. Like all of mine.....well 50% of mine......maybe 20%......sometimes it does. :lol:
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

Boomer63 wrote:What I would look for if you were my student:
Consistency, within each stringer and from stringer to stringer.
Filling in the crater at the end.
Strong start, restart and ends, with that said-
Do at least one, preferably two stop/starts within each stringer.
I know that most people don't teach it, but I would suggest that rather than drag rod, you manipulate with some variation of a 'Z' weave. I have students do that from day one on every weld; in my class they never just drag rod or wire. The reason is that on some jobs you will have to manipulate; on most 'V' Groove weld tests you need to manipulate - therefore my idea is that my guys manipulate from day one. So that by the time they finish the course, any manipulation is easy, or just doing a drag is easy.
I hope this is helpful!
Gary
welding student here, thought i'd throw in my two cents, if you dont mind :P
i agree with everything you said, especially the stop and starts, most of my class didnt realize how important they where till we moved to test plates (to bend and check penetration, etc.) and then we actually took them seriously. only thing id have to disagree with is im on the same page as the other gentlemen about the Z weave, i learned from my teacher no manipulation unless absolutely necessary (i.e when doing a test plate, and youd have abit too much room for a second bead but not a third one, so you barely weave the second one to cover all grounds) and it worked for me very well on all positions. and lucky for me, my teacher's way of welding happens to be damn near identical to mine (the way he props his arm on mig/fluxcore, his angle going into a joint, the way he feeds his filler etc. are all very similar to mine. not saying im anywhere near his skill level lol. :lol: )

but with welding it seems to be that theres 1000 ways to skin the cat, its just which way you prefer it.

regards

noah