Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jasonw74
    Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi guys,
I have a lil cheap flux core 120 wire feed welder that is not worth replacing the wire feed motor and the cord the wire runs through has snapped in half. So I am going to upgrade to a Mig welder soon.
My question is, can I turn this Flux core 120 into a stick welder. Can I just get a Electrode Holder w/Cable and attach it to the flux core machine> It is an AC unit.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

The type of power supply for GMAW and FCAW is a constant voltage power source. The type needed for SMAW and GTAW is a constant current power source.

The response of the machine to variations in arc length would make welding with stick/tig on a CV power source extremely difficult.

But hey, give it a try if there's nothing to lose.

I have never tried it other than by accident when using a multiprocess machine but based upon the electrical theory behind the processes, its not happening.

If that were all there was to it, you would see most machines marketed as MIG/Stick.

Gerald
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome!

And, nope, not in any practical way. Your wire feed welder is a constant voltage source, varying the current with your wire speed and stick-out..
A stick welder is a constant current source, with the voltage adjusting instead to maintain the output power.

Apples and oranges.

Steve S