Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

When he said, "...Now we are doing vertical..." I assumed the "we" was the whole class.

I may be mistaken, but he seemed adamant on that point.

Steve S
Edgewalker
    Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Yes, the whole class was doing vertical with 6010, 7018, 6013. I don't see how I could have done 6013 vertical up. The weld was very liquid and and I had to move fast or else the weld metal would pool up and fall like a rain drop. it was frustrating because I thought it was perfect, but then I chipped the slag away and there were slag inclusions. :x Mr. Pinckney, my professor said the machine I was on probably didn't help, and that I do too well on the new Inverters, so he has been putting me on the older machines to increase the difficulty. He is an awesome professor, and very knowledgeable. Once I get something he challenges me with new twist.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Vertical up is quite possible (and usually preferred) with 6013. It's a different animal from running it down, as you've seen, but once you figure it out, you'll wonder why it seemed so hard at first.

Steve S
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Edgewalker wrote:Yes, the whole class was doing vertical with 6010, 7018, 6013. I don't see how I could have done 6013 vertical up. The weld was very liquid and and I had to move fast or else the weld metal would pool up and fall like a rain drop. it was frustrating because I thought it was perfect, but then I chipped the slag away and there were slag inclusions. :x Mr. Pinckney, my professor said the machine I was on probably didn't help, and that I do too well on the new Inverters, so he has been putting me on the older machines to increase the difficulty. He is an awesome professor, and very knowledgeable. Once I get something he challenges me with new twist.
Sounds like you are experiencing the reverse of what I went through.
I learned in the 80's on transformer machines and kept using them until a few years ago when I started using inverters too.
They didn't weld the same and took me a little getting used to them.

Here is an article that helped clear up the differences for me.
https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... poses?vm=r
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Edgewalker
    Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:12 pm

So that's why the dig is always set to zero when I come in after the TIG class.