Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
getherdone
    Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Got a photo/clue of original issue today!

This time with 6013 overhead, lower amperage. In this picture set at 90 amps...but you can see that the last arc spiked up to 168amps - which exceeds what the machine can do.

PS- For 1/8" 6013 on 10gauge the door chart of machine suggests 75-95amps - and it defaults to 85. I was welding casters to circa 3/16" galvanized tube....and at 85 amps just could not get rod going...stick every time...and if I could get an arc going by wiggling loose it was very, very weak. And yes, those settings in photo of earlier post are taken direct from the Lincoln manual - which is also on the door chart. Is it safe to say.....these numbers a bit higher than average...and perhaps the machine a bit weaker than they suggest? Hell 125 amps on a friend's Miller inverter 280 was perfect for 3/8 plate to 1/4" tube...and i made some great welds with that...for a noob of course.

Move up to 90/95 amps...and this phantom issue began. Later in flat position running more towards 95+ amps had no issues.

Anyone know what the hell is going on?!

Thanks again.
pm210.jpg
pm210.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

I run 5/32 7018 at 160 amps. 120 should be plenty for 1/8th. Arc force at about 2 hot start just about 20% above starting voltage, never ran that model machine though. Set arc force just do the arc doesn't go out when u bury the rod into the puddle. Turn it to where arc does go out and then bump it back up a little. Hot start is the same. Just bump it up to where the rod doesn't stick on your starts. You know 7018 is a drag rod that just rests on the base metal. Don't whip it like 6010.
MAKE SURE YOUR WORK CLAMP IS SECURE TO CLEAN METAL. A bad work clamp connection can cause all the issues you mentioned.

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
getherdone
    Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Perhaps this is part of my trouble...both the default, and my adjusted settings for hot start and arc force have been towards the higher end of the range....mostly because I had great trouble getting arc started when this issue would arise.

Would heavy galvanizing contribute to any of these symptoms at all?
Lincoln Power Mig 210MP
Everlast Power TIG 185
Hypertherm PowerMax 45
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

YES. Galv is a PITA
I have more questions than answers

Josh
JR-Jonas
    Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:27 am

One thing you could try is to warm the steel up a little bit usually with the 7018 1/8 I run anywhere between 90-120 amps or another thing you can try is the 7018–1 Rod
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Unless there is a contact issue in the leads (I would suspect the stinger, since the problem changes as you move), this is likely a machine issue. I'd check every connection, from where the stinger cable enters the connector at the machine all the way to the ground path back at the machine. If all connections are tight and there's no discolor of the copper wires, I'd consider opening the machine to check the same on the machine side of the connections.

If this all proves solid, it's time to consider the electronics, and involve the maker.

Steve S
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

getherdone wrote:Ok...don't laugh too hard!

Top left of photo, a test bead ran without technical difficulties.

Lower (tight) joint between 3/8" plate and c-channel. This is where I kept grinding out porous welds that has 'snuffed out' after an inch or less time after time.

Had same issue again today on a test....seems like in the the valley of the ground out area rod would go out...or on the original joint. Try on flat like top left...or on scrap metal...tight arc, even dragging the flux across the plate, and no trouble. Today tried around 150-155amps....then gave up and finished projects with some flux core mig which went flawless. Stumped....

On one occasion (same 7018) was like someone blew out the candle...then acr started up again albeit quite weakly.

Any ideas? Thanks....

looks like a really hot machine. 155 to me is way to hot for 1/8 rods. does sound like your having a bit of machine problems too . as for as the settings i never burn a 1/8 7018 that hot i normally run at about 130 for 1/8.that splatter is probably because of the heat i seen it way to many times when i get a helper who can't get a rod to burn at the right amps so he turns up the machine so he can tack without the rod sticking every time.

D