Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
crookedwillar
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Hey guys got a question about burning 1/8 6011s on 1/4" plate vertical up with a 225 AC buzzbox my welds look like dirt dobbers trying to put mud on a caterpillar.I've tried from 70-135 amps and my welds seem to pile up no matter what angle the rod I've tied whip and pause circles triangles Us from a 90deg to push to drag seem to get same results using Lincoln and K-T RODS any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Sounds like you are pulling the rod out of the puddle. For vertical and overhead you want to keep a tight arc. Also don't need as many amp for vertical. Try using the lower range of the rod. I usually use a small circles for vertical up the 6010 and 6011. Maybe some of the more experienced guys have some other ideas. Also you may need to pick up your travel speed a bit.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Basically you have to watch the puddle and only move or pause or whip to control the puddle the way you need to.

Timing patterns are less important with vertical up - watching what the puddle is doing is critical.
Eventually your consistency will establish a rhythm that seems like a timed pattern.
But you'll still slow down or speed up or pause a little longer as needed - but you'll be doing it automatically based on what you see the puddle doing.

Maybe try this video of Jody's and see what the puddle should look like and then try to make yours look the same.
Good luck to you :)

http://youtu.be/5f_UUo9i7IY
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
crookedwillar
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Thanks for the help guys ill give the tips a try :mrgreen:
Yzdrew170
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:52 am

Let us know if anything works