Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
JR-Jonas
    Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:27 am

The book said that it can only use 1/6 to 1/4 electrodes.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It sounds like you have "Chinese Machine Syndrome".

Harbor Freight has a no-questions-asked return/exchange policy. Go get another.

Steve S
WeirdoDrummer23
    Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:54 pm

Okay, new evidence: I swapped out the machine and had the same problem; HOWEVER, I found that the rods that come with the machine run like butter they are grey E6013 rods and I bought brown 6013 without the E in front. What's the difference?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

If I was stuck on a deserted island and was forced to us a Buzz Box, the ONLY rods I would use to maintain sanity would be MG-500's.......period.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla

WeirdoDrummer23 wrote:Okay, new evidence: I swapped out the machine and had the same problem; HOWEVER, I found that the rods that come with the machine run like butter they are grey E6013 rods and I bought brown 6013 without the E in front. What's the difference?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Brand is the primary difference, and the different color suggests a different flux composition.

All the "E" means is "electrode", and using it is redundant, since it's written on the electrode.

Steve S
WeirdoDrummer23
    Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:54 pm

That's what's weird. They're both 1/8 6013. One runs normal and the other like jiffy pop. I'm glad it's not the machine but this kinda raises more questions than it answers

Try putting the "jiffy pop" rods in the oven at 250*F for a couple hours. They may be moist.

Failing that, throw them out and buy good quality rod.

Steve S