Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
cmarkellc
    Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 am

I know when you're going too fast, it's not laying a good bead, undercut appears and trapping slag; but how can you tell that your going too slow when you need to pick up the paste? How can you tell that the puddle is too big?
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

The weld profile is low and wide
Dancing with the blue lady
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

It's all about the puddle......Different rods weld a little differently so I will speak to the crowd favorite 7018. The puddle should be uniform and consistent. Flat position........if your puddle is elongated and skinny you are going to fast, if the puddle is fat and short (or hard to distinguish) going to slow ....Of course bigger rod, bigger puddle, but consistent in shape.

Jody is not only a master welder, he is also a tremendous camera man and producer. Watch his videos and look at the puddle, that is what it is supposed to look like.

A lot of young guys get so caught up in vertical up with, pause at the sides and don't hang out in the middle, (which is the correct advice) they seem to forget there is a puddle following....kind of need to train your eyes and brain to see where you are going and where you have been. I am constantly looking at puddle shape on vertical up, (stringers and the big bad weave) as the piece heats up, or something changes I am adjusting myself to keep that puddle consistent and also know when to "bail out" and drink a sip of coffee and do a re-start if need be.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Just look at your bead when youre done. Compare it to beads done by the more experienced welders. Adjust accordingly. Watching the puddle and knowing what to look for just comes with practice.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
cmarkellc

Oh ok I appreciate the advice. Maybe I should look very carefully at how Jody lays down beads.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

cmarkellc wrote:Oh ok I appreciate the advice. Maybe I should look very carefully at how Jody lays down beads.
Do that. But try to focus on the details not just watching him weld. The little things are what separate good welds from great welds.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene

cmarkellc wrote:Oh ok I appreciate the advice. Maybe I should look very carefully at how Jody lays down beads.
Watching Jody's videos, especially how he controls and handles the puddle, is IMO the best thing you can do to improve your welding, except getting more seat time. And your seat time practice will be improved by the knowledge you've gained from the videos.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
cmarkellc

I'll do that, definitely. I appreciate all of the replies for support....