Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Try to be short. One of my competitors (and friend) takes me to lunch Friday and say's he HAS to have a set of coils cut/in supply and return and piped before Monday morning and his pipe guys are stuck in Georgia on a turn around (says go T&M so I know he is hurting). I make him a deal. I will do it personally, he provides the equipment and a helper. We take my boat down to the keys end of the month fishing and he pays all expenses, including fuel. Deal is done.

He then tells me "Sig" will meet me there at 7:00 Saturday morning and gives me the address of the school. He goes on to tell me "Sig" is an Amish boy he hired out of Pennsylvania about a year ago. Right off the bat I let him know if we are cutting pipe with a hacksaw and beveling with a file, done by Monday morning is not happening. "No, no, something happened and he quit, got kicked out I don't really know, but honestly the kid is pretty damn good."

I show up this morning about 7:30 (long line at Starbucks) the truck is rolled out, parallel stand stations, pipe on the stands and fittings lined up on the ground. This twenty something kid makes a bee line for me wearing a Brown Dickey's uniform,safety vest, hard hat, safety glasses, grinding shield and ear plugs. (I'm looking around like WTF is OSHA doing here on a Saturday) He is coming full steam like he wants to fight and I'm thinking shit I'm only 30 minutes late kid. Anyway he shakes my hand, introduces himself, hands me the drawings. I walk in the school with him and I will be damned he has already dropped strings and had the floor laid out.

We commence to getting after it, I am basically just the welder this boy is in charge. I can usually out run a fitter, but this little shit is keeping my hood down, I eventually slowed the root and fat passed it, skipped the hot pass and put in a slow cap on the stands for a lot of it. (relax boys 4" and under, root in deep, cap not undercut)

Stopped for lunch at noon for twenty minutes. Sig eats hard boiled eggs with worcestershire sauce sprinkled on them. Yeah I thought the same thing, I was wrong try it.

Around 3:00 I start thinking we can knock this effing thing out today. I ask Sig if he is down with some OT on a Saturday? "Yes sir, me and my girl are trying to save up for a second car"

Long story short, I am attaching pics of a 12 hour day with really no breaks. Before you start poo pooing, remember two cut in's (lines were already drained). And I admit a lot of it was stand work, but not one boat anchor was made.

I only had a little over $300.00 in my wallet and I pulled it out and gave it to Sig and he argued for a minute but eventually took it.

If you are Amish and in Florida contact me you are hired. Oh, during lunch I asked him how he learned to fit like that and he said his family piped dairy farms and shit. So I asked, "I thought you folks couldn't use power tools?". He said they couldn't OWN them but could use them. I don't know if that is right or not, might be what got ol Sig the boot, but I am thinking it might have been the little girl he is trying to buy a car for.
IMG_3093.JPG
IMG_3093.JPG (76.27 KiB) Viewed 850 times
IMG_3094.JPG
IMG_3094.JPG (64.54 KiB) Viewed 850 times
IMG_3095.JPG
IMG_3095.JPG (94.35 KiB) Viewed 850 times
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice lines for a Saturday. Even left room for someone to work on it 25 years down the road.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

All Sig, I am usually the dumb ass that forgets it gets insulated.
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Can't complain about any of that! Sounds like Sig will have a job the rest of his life. Good genuine worker. Wish my guy did that instead of standing around drinking coffee and bullshiting.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That is fact...

The Amish are not forbidden from using power tools, only from owning them.

They also have a work ethic that makes Mexican stone masons look lazy.

Steve S

That is quite a compliment and ironic. The other side of our company is concrete, CMU, tilt wall, etc. (actually it is larger than our steel division, you know how Florida loves block). And the boys south of the border straight get after it. (same for landscaping down here). The only issues they have is the old drivers license problem lol.
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I've got enough Southern heritage that I use "sir" and "ma'am" all the time, and frankly miss it when I don't see it in others. (I use it around my kids and the Boy Scouts all the time, so far to no avail.) So Sig has a couple points in his favor right there. Maybe find out if he knows anybody that works as hard as he does?
Dave
aka "RTFM"