Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Cigweld Satin craft 13s are 6013, blue flux as you know. which give the associated slag swirling problem. Cigwelds 6012 are called 12xp and have a red flux. One little number wouldnt seem like a major change, but its a biggy.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

weldin mike 27 wrote:Cigweld Satin craft 13s are 6013, blue flux as you know. which give the associated slag swirling problem. Cigwelds 6012 are called 12xp and have a red flux. One little number wouldnt seem like a major change, but its a biggy.

Thanks Mick.

Funny, I'm using inverters and the 6013 (Satincraft 13) rods really do work a treat. In fact I had my first ever perfect slag peel/lift off using these rods.

Which of course makes me eager to try the 6012/12XP's because if they are even better I'd be delighted.

Don't do a lot of stick welding but when I do it's nice to be able to just speak sternly to the slag and watch it lift off with nary a scratch needed.

Thanks for the tip.

Kym
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Kym I'm glad that you have no problem with slag. One issue to tick off the list of welding issues. (That said, satincraft 13s are about as good as it gets.) Strangely i have had nothing but trouble with cigweld 13s (Thirteen S) blue and white stripe. Always seem terrible.
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

I bought some 7018 3/32 from one LWS (which i won't be going back to) and get home to find out they were not hermetically sealed. Didn't feel like heading back out so went forward anyways. They stuck and sputtered and were a PITA to start up, but once the heat got in them they ran not bad. I wasn't worried since it was non-critical welds. Reconditioning them requires somewhere between 500-600F. I've heard of some using a kitchen oven, but most don't go that high, and not sure what type of smell you may get (I often roast oak and dry grains for malt for my other hobby, so they SOH doesn't even ask what i'm up to anymore.

I like the idea mentioned above of a sealed container with desicant packets. I would imagine if you have one of those home vacuum sealing things that for long term storage one of those with some desicant would work great as well.

Most guys on farms and stuff will keep 6010 (6011) on hand since as mentioned it is great for blasting through rust, paints, etc so if your repairs or small jobs are going to be a lot of "dirty" metal, that is something to keep in mind.

Take my advice with a grain of salt . . . i'm still green . . . tons of book smart, but have a ways to go with real world experience that others here have.