Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
smc1118
    Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:13 am

Was wondering if anyone Here can give some settings for 7028 we just got it in and no one has experience on this rod I ran it a little but it wasn't that good i noticed if it's a deep groove it gets a lot of pin wholes it's 1/8 7028 I was running it at 160
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

I've never used that rod but porosity with low hydrogen rods is almost always due to contamination - be it mill scale, rust, oil or moisture in the rod.
Try this:
Touch your rod to the the base metal and hold it there for about 6 to ten seconds without striking an arc. It will start to smoke and the flux will start to change color (7018 turns from gray to brown when I do this). At that point you have driven all moisture from the rod. Now strike an arc. That rod will be so damn hot that it won't even think about trying to stick at that point. If you're still getting wormholes and your base metal is clean then take those things back to the store.

I have done this many times with 7018 that had been sitting out for several months and they weld flawlessly for me as long as the base metal is clean.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT