Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Here's a 3/8" coupon guys.
1/8" 7014 triple run fillet, 135 amps, 30% dig.
M2.jpg
M2.jpg (78.82 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
M1.jpg
M1.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Would you trust this for a portable shop loading beam with chain block say 500kg (1100LB) each end plate on a 6x3" I-beam?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Are you just using it to weld on the stop plates that keep the trolley from running off the beam?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman

They would be 4 bolt end plates for attachment. Only one job planned for it. May be a while before it gets used again.
Coldman

I'm going to put the coupon in a 20T press on Saturday to see what happens.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

What is the pound (kg) per foot on the shape? Is it a W or I?
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I don't know enough about engineering specs to give a good answer but I know enough to say it should come down to proper lay out, fillet size, and weld location in respect to directional forces. In the pic it doesn't look like it penetrated very deep into the joint. But I haven't used 7014 much that may be normal. Being it's a 70 series rod means 70,000 psi tensil strength so between that and the overall design of the frame. Is it going to be a moveable unit or is it getting welded to stationary uprights?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman

Thanks for your input guys. I don't want to get too much into the engineering design of structures etc. The design is good, loading can be considered light, absolutely no overloading or close to. Normally, for a joint such as this you would reach for a low hy rod 7016 or 7018.
I have this job coming up in a couple of weeks which gives me time to consider options and method. I have a packet of 7014 on the shelf so I thought I would see how it stacks up. Penetration is there but not brilliant, similar to what you can expect from mig and plenty of work is done with mig. I'm taking the time to slice and squash it to be sure. I will probably go for 7018 because of the nagging feeling I have, but I thought to seek your opinions because maybe I'm being over cautious and the 7014 as shown is probably going to do the job well in this case.
So basically what I am asking is to ignore rod type and steel design and focus on the macro. If you saw it on a 1T monorail (and plenty of it) would you be ok with it or run away screaming?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I'm a 7014 fan. I like the way it runs and the penetration is fine as long as it's run with enough amps.

If the type of material calls for a low-hydrogen rod, then that's what I would use.
If it's regular mild steel, then I have no problems with 7014.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I see no problem with the macro.
I'd try for a better fit in the working part, though.
The gap behind the root makes two problems; it gives room for flex, and makes a stress riser in the root.

Steve S
Coldman

Thanks Dave.

Thanks Steve, agreed on the fitup which is different to an end plate on an I beam. The coupon was tacked on the ends only and pulled with welding. Didn't much care, was only interested in the peno. Gonna squash it anyway.
Coldman

Tried breaking it today in a 30T powered hydraulic press. 1st time it shot into the solid steel guard like a cannon ball. Second time it just sat there not moving while the pump struggled. Guess it's strong enough for me.