Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
SpenceWelds
    Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:27 pm

So as I'm welding, practicing for my 4G open root, my keyhole keeps walking left and right on me and I don't get it. I'm welding with a Lincoln v275-s, running Lincoln 5p 1/8" rods at roughly 75 amps using +4 arc force, the material being welded is 1/2" carbon steel plate, with a 1/8" landing and a 1/8" open root. I believe I'm maintaining the proper angles, and hitting both plates at the same time, it'll be going in perfectly, right down the middle, then begin to wander left or right. Any tips?

Thanks in advanced,
Spence.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Welcome to the forum SpenceWelds.

Sounds like you got a good machine & rods - amps sound a little bit low based on what I use but no two machines are the same - is it possible your material has become magnetic or there is something causing it to become magnetic ? try a different batch of metal maybe & keep the earth as close as possible to the weld - I've not suffered much with the problem except when I forgot magnets used to hold things in place ! but if you search through the topics there have been some good posts on this problem - maybe worth a read.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If I have a choise on 1/8 6010 I like my dig around 7. Makes the diferance for me.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah I crank up the dig to 7-8 too. If the arc is wandering, it's a ground issue. If the keyhole is jumping from side to side then it's you and your rod angle. When it does this you are most likely overcorrecting and pushing it to the other side. Give it some movement and keep it shoved up there. You should be fine as long as it's fusing to both sides.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

Tighten the gap.1/8 is on the big side for a 1/8 rod.it will help a little to focus your arc too,as will holding a tighter arc
Dancing with the blue lady
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Spence, welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200