Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
labtech
    Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 am

Tried posting this earlier, maybe no one saw it, maybe no one had any input, but just to make sure I thought I try again.

I am very new at welding, I have been using 7018 exclusively since that's what I had to use at work (it's all they have). When time came to try and weld stuff for something other than just minor repairs at work as I got interested in learning more about it on my free time as well and do some simple hobby projects, I just stuck with the 7018's because I know them. I've wanted to experiment with 6010 for the benefits I've been told from youtube and elsewhere they have with fast freeze and blowing through rust and paint, and easier relighting than the 7018s for just tacking stuff up, but they don't really seem to sell them at all where I live, as coded work seems to prefer 7016 instead for root passes here and hobbyists are just assumed they will make due with 6013 which I don't really like that much since I can't get used to the way they run, and I I know nothing about 7016 since there are almost no articles or youtube videos about them anywhere. I've got a pack though and am anxious to burn a few sticks to see what happens.

Anyone else have any experience running 7016 and care to hand out some tips I'd love to hear how they differ from 6010 and why my part of the world seems to prefer it for open butt root passes? Are they fine for simple hobbyist builds that still need to carry some weight, like small car ramps, how easy are they to relight if you just wanna run around and put some tacks in (because thats' definitely a pain to do with 7018s) etc. Are there other rods I should be looking into? Like I said I have only ever run 7018 because that's all I've had access to.

Appreciate any tips :D
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Never heard of a 7016 rod nor have I seen one. From my understanding it's similar to a 6010 in its welding which is probably why it's used in pipeline work. Where did you find the rods at?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

7016 is a Basic low hydrogen rod. Similar to 7018 except no added iron powder. You handle it and weld with it the same way you would 7018 rods including keeping it in a hot box. It's nothing like 7010 which is cellulosic.
Here in oz for coded work 7016 is the rod called up not 7018. Most ozzie lws keep 7016 in 2 or three brands but not 7018 or maybe only one brand in short supply.
Most Americans don't like 7016 because they are used to 7018 and the extra deposition the iron powder gives. Here in oz 7016 is what we've grown up with and are used to. 7016 can have superior low temperature strength compared to 7018 also.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
labtech
    Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:53 am

Coldman wrote:7016 is a Basic low hydrogen rod. Similar to 7018 except no added iron powder. You handle it and weld with it the same way you would 7018 rods including keeping it in a hot box. It's nothing like 7010 which is cellulosic.
Here in oz for coded work 7016 is the rod called up not 7018. Most ozzie lws keep 7016 in 2 or three brands but not 7018 or maybe only one brand in short supply.
Most Americans don't like 7016 because they are used to 7018 and the extra deposition the iron powder gives. Here in oz 7016 is what we've grown up with and are used to. 7016 can have superior low temperature strength compared to 7018 also.
Thanks! This helped me a lot