Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Tom94
    Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 pm

First off let me just say that this is a cheap made in China welder which may be the problem.

I have 90-250a AC 110v AC stick welder. I tried running 1\8th 6013 awhile ago but couldn't get an arc. Today I got some 1\16th 6013 thinking surely It's small enough to run on my machine. Well, I'm still having issues. Low and mid range amps I just get sparks and sticks. Can't get and arc to save my life. So I tried cranking it up and I still couldn't get an arc but, the entire electrodes will turn red hot if I stick it.

If it's getting enough power to turn the entire electrode red hot, why can't I get an arc? It's been a very frustrating day for me.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Why 6013? Its burning characteristics are very iffy. Of course, there are some pros that have no problem with it, especially in Europe. Personally, I hate the stuff...but I'm no pro.

Try 3/32" 6011. Easy to establish an arc, easy restart, needs low amps, burns even on poorly prepared metal.

7014 is another rod that has good burning traits. Needs more amps and cleaner metal but still is easy to use.

Edit: Please list the brand and model of welder. Also, on 110V you are not going to get the amps that your welder is rated for. Those numbers are typically for a 220V set-up. Any 1/8" rod will labor with 110V.
Tom94

Idk why I choose 6013. I believe someone told me it runs well on 110v AC. I can't see myself purchasing more rods. Unless, more agree that it's likely the culprit. I have a project I really want to finish but my experience with welding has brought me nothing but headaches. I've had this machine for months and haven't been able to run a single bead.

The machine is a ARKSEN AC welder BX1-250c1 and yes it's supposed to run on 220v also but, everytime I start it on 220 it trips the breaker. I've tried different breakers at different houses, it always trips. 220 Breaker is a 50a.

The main thing I'm wondering atm is why I can't start an arc even with enough power to turn the rod red hot and go flaccid? Shouldn't I be blasting holes in the metal instead of leaving tiny scorch marks?

Thanks for the reply.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Is your ground cable getting hot? Ir either the ground or the stinger where they attach to the welder?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Tom94

Idk. I can check next time I give it another go. Assuming I do. Why do you ask?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Poor connections can give you enough resistance to make the welder not weld right. Especially if it has low voltage.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Here is some info on your welder that may help. Be sure to check the wiring as in one of the posts:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Business-I ... p/22297530

Of course, the other possibility is that you have a bum welder. But if the wiring is not right then breakers will rapidly trip.

Have you tried using another welder with the 6013 rods? (If you know someone with a welder.)