Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
chabobo
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:50 pm

hello board. I'm happy to finally be able to post. I've been trying for a couple days now so hopefully they don't all appear at once. Sorry if they do. I introduced myself in the new member erea but I'll do a little here.

I'm a newer welder but have working around steel for 18 years. a few years back when I received my jman iw ticket I decided to get into welding. I passed my first year out here (barely) in alberta which is mostly mig. I don't want to squeeze by again so I've been practicing on my own time and during my breaks for my second year which consist of stick and tig. I've been practicing stick as I have a 1g cwb test coming July 29. I'm having hair line cracks when I bend the plates on my root. it used to be on my square edge and beveled edge but recently fixed my square edge by pointing at 60 degrees and concentrating on the backing strip. but didn't fix my issue with the beveled edge. my fill and cap are good. it's just the damn cracks. I'll be using 7018 1/8 rod for the test. I wish I had pictures of my plate but I'm sure most of you guys know what I'm talking about.

I would love some input.

thanks for reading
chris