Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i've found 6013 rod ok for thinner stuff but like the guys are saying, 6010 rod is very versitle
4m welder
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

i have that lurking around my box. i'll post it when i find it :roll:
Jonathan
    Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am

Hi again!

I just got hold of some 6013 1/8 rods, and tried welding 6013 again. Seems I might have held to short an arc, because when I lengthened the arc a bit the slag pushed back in the puddle. If I held a short arc the slag would kind of catch the edge of the rod and start to solidify, and the puddle was hidden below the slag all the time. Felt like welding blindfolded. And the beads looked better when I held a longer arc. I was welding on clean scrap 1/4" plate.

Seems there is a sweet spot there, however I still prefer 7018´s. They make tougher welds too, so Ill stick(haha) to them!

Thanks for all advice!

Jonathan in Sweden
joseph.mowery
    Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Check out the Miller site for info.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/ca ... ulator.php
Jonathan
    Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:47 am

@joseph.mowery

Thanks, thats a really good one! Ill keep it bookmarked for easy reference.

Thanks!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

6013 is a general purpose mild steel rod designed and fluxed for AC "crackerboxes", and is often called "farmer rod" for its frequent use in agricultural repair. I've experimented with it (don't ask why... I was bored) and it does perform much better on AC. Perhaps for similar reasons to aluminum? DCEN and DCEP did not produce good or even consistent results.

Steve