Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
agent02
    Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Noob here, I'm looking for suggestions on a TIG welder. I'm new to welding in general and I only weld for hobby use out of my garage. I bought a Lincoln 256 Power MIG with 100% o2 but now I'm looking for a TIG welder. I'm leaning towards the Precision TIG 225 because I definitely don't want to ever have to buy another one. I know that there are some better bang for your buck welders out there but I'm pretty picky and I'd rather just buy a great one and hold it. Is that a pretty good welder and is there an engine-driven welder that's comprable to that that's mainly TIG and stick? I don't care if it's Miller or Lincoln. Thank you
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I would buy am HTP221 before I bought a Precision Rig 225. The PT225 is big, heavy, and transformer based. The HTP is smaller, lighter, a fantastic rig welder and an amazing stick welder. HTP has a cult-like following. Search YouTube for htp221.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i own a miller 250 sycrowave and a 221 HTP. i almost never use the miller since
i got the HTP
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
agent02
    Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Thank you I will look into that welder
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Or you can buy a Lincoln SquareWave 200...
aroberson77
    Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

If you want something cheap the AHP alphatig would be perfect as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

There's so many great deals on craigslist around here, if you're close to a big city you might check that out. There was a Lincoln SW200 last week for $1000 with full bottle and cart, there's almost always an AHP for sale. I've used the Precision tig 225 a lot at school and it's nice, but it's big, it's heavy, and doesn't offer anything like the features on inverter machines. I've also used the HTP 221 and really liked it, people must like them because I've never seen a used one for sale.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch