Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
merc1030
    Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Are there any advantages / disadvantages to haveing a LONGER gas cup. I've seen longer ones all over the internet but they could just be from a diff manufacturer. Mine is water cooled but my torch has been getting pretty warm when I weld for a little while.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The only advantage I can think of for a longer cup is reduced wrist motion when walking the cup. I suppose it might extend the duty cycle on an air-cooled torch, as well, so that may be the intent.

If your water-cooled is getting unusually warm, you should look for issues with water flow, reserve capacity, and cooling area/fan. I've burned aluminum on the bench for 10 hours almost continuous at 180-210 Amps with a wp-20 and never had heat issues.

I weld with a wp-20 now, in such restricted locations that I've taken the shortest cup available and ground half of it off, so with the short-button the torch is only 1 1/4" from backcap to tungsten point for the tightest welds, and have seen no real disadvantage other than the need to dam the argon as the flow is pretty turbulent.

Steve S
merc1030

thanks for the info on the cup length and heat issue. the water tank i have was home made and i dont think the pump is pumping enough volume .im going to have to look into the water circulation info
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

As usual I agree with Steve. The only reason I use a longer cup like a #5 Extra Long would be for getting into a tight narrow spot like a heel of a pipe joint or something along those lines. They are handy to have one or two around but rarely will use them. I've never walked the cup so no idea there, ha ha!
merc1030

Thanks for the information