Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
vdotmatrix
    Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

I bought jody’s stubby gas kit last year and put it on my Ck flex head. It has gotten progressively harder and harder to sequester the tungsten.

I replaced the collect...no go...seemed like something might be loose in the gas lens... i had to dig up my regular #8 cup to use instead....me no like...

Any ideas?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I use wedge collets and don’t have any issues. Is it a CK lens? I don’t use those, but many, many people do with great success and reviews on them.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Perhaps the lense itself is just worn out?

Or are the threads on the torch head itself wearing out?

Did it start out as difficult to tighten down the tungsten or was it good at the start?

I'd personally try another lense and see what I get.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
vdotmatrix

cj737 wrote:I use wedge collets and don’t have any issues. Is it a CK lens? I don’t use those, but many, many people do with great success and reviews on them.
When i bought the stubby kit no one had the stubby wedge collets, then i forgot about it. Craptacular. I am sure this is what is occurring . I onlyhave CK stuff, except for the pyrex lens i just bought for the stubby kit.
vdotmatrix

cj737 wrote:I use wedge collets and don’t have any issues. Is it a CK lens? I don’t use those, but many, many people do with great success and reviews on them.
wedge collet, of course.
When i bought the stubby kit no one had the stubby wedge collets, then i forgot about it. Craptacular. I am sure this is what is occurring . I onlyhave CK stuff, except for the pyrex lens i just bought for the stubby kit.
vdotmatrix

Toggatug wrote:Perhaps the lense itself is just worn out?

Or are the threads on the torch head itself wearing out?

Did it start out as difficult to tighten down the tungsten or was it good at the start?

I'd personally try another lense and see what I get.

I switched to 1/16 and didnt have the issue as much...
The gas lens almost seemed loose but i dont know
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Just be clear on this..... are you trying to tighten the Tungsten by turning the gas lens, or by turning the back cap?
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

also do you have the correct spacer installed ?
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Are you using the required parts for the torch? The 17, 18 and 26 torch use one set of parts and the 9 and 20 torch use different parts. Assembling the torch "properly"? The goes in from the top and the back cap applies pressure to "pinch" the collet to hold the tungsten in position. IF using the wrong insulator, you won't get the proper "clearance" to get things to fit properly.
vdotmatrix

I ordered 1/16 and 3/32 stubby wedge collets for my torch, long over due.
vdotmatrix

I have been using the same setup just fine, but more and more it is harder and harder to get a tight fit. I switch out the collect and helped a lottle. Thank for all your responses!
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Also not sure if you have a collet wrench or not but they definitely help slot.

Got mine from arc zone and I have no more issues with a loose gas lense as I did before. (Used to pull the lense out with the shield cup when trying to only remove shield cup)

Used to have a tough time getting my split collet to grab and always found it to be from the lense being loose.

Probably wouldn't hurt to peak at the threads of the torch head itself and cleanup with a tap if required.

Pretty sure it's a 3/8" national fine thread if it needs tapping.

vdotmatrix

Toggatug wrote:Also not sure if you have a collet wrench or not but they definitely help slot.

Got mine from arc zone and I have no more issues with a loose gas lense as I did before. (Used to pull the lense out with the shield cup when trying to only remove shield cup)

Used to have a tough time getting my split collet to grab and always found it to be from the lense being loose.

Probably wouldn't hurt to peak at the threads of the torch head itself and cleanup with a tap if required.

Pretty sure it's a 3/8" national fine thread if it needs tapping.

I have oredered from them before...collet wrench sounds like a great idea...wonder if jody has one.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

IF you can't find a wrench, you might be able to squeak by using an ignition wrench set - metric or u.s.. Just a quick question for you. When you install the collet body - do you back the back cap way out so the body will seat properly? I keep going thru my mind at some of the things that I've done. Hope ya don't mind the questions.
gramps
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Post pics of your torch setup both assembled and disassembled. As alluded to in previous posts, it's probably a spacer issue, or issue with your sequence of tightening. Back cap is the first thing you loosen, and the last thing you tighten.