Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Martl86
    Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:52 am

Firstly sorry for my bad English, as it is not my native language :D .

I am having issues with weld puddle, with flexlock torch and silicone hose(WP17) the weld puddle is like a volcano, it seems almost as the base metal is boiling. Now when i change the torch to a standard torch(WP26) that came with the machine, the problem disappears. I have pressurised the hose, no leaks that i could find, cleaned every possible connection, i have tried almost everything that i can think of.
I have no clue what to check next.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

You have a gas issue somewhere. Check to see if gas is flowing from the cup (set your post flow to a real long time, then just tap the pedal, let off and feel for gas flow). Is it a 17 torch with a manual gas valve by any chance? other possible solutions are a bad collet that has become deformed and is blocking the gas flow, or possibly you have assembled the 17 torch incorrectly. Pictures of the torch and all connections would be a huge help.
Multimatic 255
Martl86

Gas is flowing without any issues i have tried adjusting the gas regulator, and the result is same, only difference is when the gas flow is really low. It is 17 torch without gas valve. I have tried different collets, lenses, cups even different size electrodes.
I will try to post pictures tomorrow.
77cruiser
    Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

I had a similar issue a few years ago, I think the torch I was using was broken someplace & it wasn't getting good gas flow or the flow was contaminated. Like you a different torch worked fine.

The gas can't be contaminated if it works fine with a different torch. It has to be a gas flow issue somewhere. We need pictures to figure it out. I know you say gas is flowing, but if it is drawing in outside air, that could be an issue, or maybe it is flowing, but just not enough.
Multimatic 255
Martl86

So this is the torch that is giving me headache.
I agree, outside air draw in could be the issue, but don't understand from where it could draw it in.
Attachments
IMG_20210308_192734.jpg
IMG_20210308_192734.jpg (69.73 KiB) Viewed 2933 times
Martl86

Torch cup and cap fits really snugly, i pressurised the hose with the cup end sealed and did not find any leaks :roll:
Martl86

This is the machine setup, upper row first knob is gas pre flow(set to approximately 0,5s), lower row fifth knob is gas post flow(set to approximately 5s), lower row sixth and seventh knobs are AC frequency and cleaning effect. Gas flow from the regulator is set to 17cfh.
Attachments
IMG_20210308_193926.jpg
IMG_20210308_193926.jpg (45.85 KiB) Viewed 2931 times
Martl86

And this is the disappointing result :( those numbers after those passes are gas flow l/min. I did those passes without filler.
Attachments
IMG_20210308_193659.jpg
IMG_20210308_193659.jpg (39.25 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

are you swapping all the gas lens and cups etc to the other torch?
how clean is the mesh on the gas lens?
is the tungsten the correct size to the gas lens?
can you replace it with standard consumables?

aluminum doesn't need big cups or big gas lens. a standard 5 or 6 cup will work perfectly fine.
tweak it until it breaks
Martl86

Everything on the torch has been tested on the working torch.
Gas lens is clean i even cleaned it with acetone.
Tungsten is 1/16" so is the gas lens and collet.
I have tried it with standard consumables result is the same.
tweake

btw what brand is that torch?
it looks like a CK. is it a good brand or some knock off?

all i can suggest is check each bit. from the hose connection at the machine, to the connections in the body and the sealing o rings on the swivel. make sure all gas port are clean. noting like a bit of crud plugging some of those small ports to ruin your day.
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

one other thing, whats the tungsten like? is it getting oxidized?
tweak it until it breaks
tweake

well a thought from way out in crazy land,
you have 1/16 tungsten which i take your welding some really thin aluminium.
whats the backside like? your not melting right through and sucking crap back? i have absolutely no idea how that could happen with different torches.

tho the weld pic suggest its worse with higher gas flows which indicates a gas issue.
tweak it until it breaks

Good thought, or, maybe this....How many amps are you putting through that 1/16th tungsten? And what size is the tungsten in your other torch and how many amps are you putting through the other torch? hat size tungsten is only good to about 100 amps before the tungsten itself will start to breakdown. Your pictures do not look like I expected them to look if the situation is a lack of gas coverage. Now I am thinking your tungsten is "spitting"
Multimatic 255
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Louie1961 wrote:Good thought, or, maybe this....How many amps are you putting through that 1/16th tungsten? And what size is the tungsten in your other torch and how many amps are you putting through the other torch? hat size tungsten is only good to about 100 amps before the tungsten itself will start to breakdown. Your pictures do not look like I expected them to look if the situation is a lack of gas coverage. Now I am thinking your tungsten is "spitting"
In general, you might be correct. But amperage limits on tungsten diameter is a very "conditional" limit.

I encourage you to read this post to understand the point: https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/4550 ... P-amperage
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

I might be wrong, but the weld looks to me like the A/C Balance is out of wack.... aka backwards.

Bottom right knob (in pic)..... currently set to ~70% suggesting about 70% cleaning action or DCEP=70% DCEN=30%.

I'd suggest flip / flop the knob to 30% or DCEP=30% DCEN=70% and continue troubleshooting from there.
Last edited by sportster on Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cj737 wrote:
Louie1961 wrote:Good thought, or, maybe this....How many amps are you putting through that 1/16th tungsten? And what size is the tungsten in your other torch and how many amps are you putting through the other torch? hat size tungsten is only good to about 100 amps before the tungsten itself will start to breakdown. Your pictures do not look like I expected them to look if the situation is a lack of gas coverage. Now I am thinking your tungsten is "spitting"
In general, you might be correct. But amperage limits on tungsten diameter is a very "conditional" limit.

I encourage you to read this post to understand the point: https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/4550 ... P-amperage
SMH...this helps solve the OP's problem how?
Multimatic 255
Martl86

tweake wrote:btw what brand is that torch?

all i can suggest is check each bit. from the hose connection at the machine, to the connections in the body and the sealing o rings on the swivel. make sure all gas port are clean. noting like a bit of crud plugging some of those small ports to ruin your day.

I wish it was CK it is Chinese knock off. If i can't get that damned torch working, then i think i have to bite the bullet and buy CK torch
Martl86

tweake wrote:btw what brand is that torch?

I wish it was CK it is Chinese knock off. If i can't get that damned torch working, then i think i have to bite the bullet and buy CK torch
Martl86

tweake wrote:one other thing, whats the tungsten like? is it getting oxidized?

Tungsten remains it's original colour, no color change.
Tungsten tip is balled as it should be.
Martl86

tweake wrote:well a thought from way out in crazy land,
you have 1/16 tungsten which i take your welding some really thin aluminium.
whats the backside like? your not melting right through and sucking crap back? i have absolutely no idea how that could happen with different torches.

tho the weld pic suggest its worse with higher gas flows which indicates a gas issue.

Material that i did the test on is quite thin i would say maybe 2mm thick, did not melt through.
I have tried a thicker material 6,2mm new material, usual surface prep and result is the same
Martl86

I would say about 70amps maximum, as i use foot pedal i usually ease off the throttle as the base metal heats up.
Tungsten tip is getting i would say perfectly balled after fresh grind with dedicated tungsten grinder. On other torch i use both 1/16 and 3/32 tungstens without any issues, with the 1/16 tungsten on the working torch i would say the amps remain pretty much the same. No visible tungsten breakdown that i can see.
Last edited by Martl86 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Louie1961 wrote:
cj737 wrote:

SMH...this helps solve the OP's problem how?
By eliminating your incorrect guidance. Doesn’t help to send people down unrelated rat holes don’t you think? Further, it light serve to elucidate you about variables of which you appear to be unaware.
Martl86

sportster wrote:I might be wrong, but the weld looks to me like the A/C Balance is out of wack.... aka backwards.

Bottom right knob (in pic)..... currently set to ~70% suggesting about 70% cleaning action or DCEP=70% DCEN=30%.

I'd suggest flip / flop the knob to 30% or DCEP=30% DCEN=70% and continue troubleshooting from there.
You are correct, usually i have AC balance around 30% , i took that picture when i was troubleshooting that issue