Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

So somethingbive been curious about for a while now is why my ally filler rod have 2 different alloy designations on 1 box.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Is my gut right that this is questionable filler material?Image

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

It is my understanding that 4943 meets all the requirements for 4043 and then some. It can be used as a replacement for procedures that call for 4043. I think they used the dual rating to make people more comfortable with doing that.
I would not suggest using 4043 for any procedure that requires 4943.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

It can't be both. I wouldn't trust it.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Toggatug

Hmm Sawyer your answer makes sense and could be what the supplier had in mind with the dual tag.

I wish I didn't pitch my other box from then that only had 4943 on it. Then my second box from them came with both.

My eyes have not noticed any night and day differences but I'll never know if there is truly no difference.

And Coldman that's exactly what my gut says if I had to depend on the alloy. Luckily for me I don't have any sort of code book or procedure I need to follow. I just need to have my welds not leak at working pressure and everyone/everything is happy.

Sounds like I'm getting on the phone with nexalloy and getting to the bottom of this sticker.

Will update as available/remembered

Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Yeah, that seems a little sketchy to me. Almost like they are just putting both there for marketing purposes as VA-Sawyer mentioned, but alloy designations shouldn't be used like that, IMO. That should only list what alloy it actually is. The comparison should have just been a separate footnote on the box to inform the customer if they wanted to make that comparison.

Also sketchy that the box says they are "An ISO company". You're ISO What??? Sure it's quite common for companies to list certain ISO standards that they meet, but I've never heard a company just flatly say that they are ISO. Just complete ISO... We are 100% ISO... :lol:
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

Do a Google search on replacing 4043 with 4943.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
Toggatug

Yeah I gotcha Spartan.

I see so many companies bragging about their ISO.

But I honestly didn't notice they didn't have a number following the ISO.

Usually when I check what the fancy ISO is it's 9/10 times just a safety ISO which to my understanding has nothing to do with quality control etc. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

ISO just means they have documented there procedures and process, and registered and been inspected to be in compliance with there procedures. Not any kind of standard for quality in a materials sense.

Here is the AWS they reference.
https://pubs.aws.org/Download_PDFS/A5.1 ... -WebPV.pdf

You can buy the full version.
https://global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?d ... y=00021721
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Poland308 wrote: ISO just means they have documented there procedures and process, and registered and been inspected to be in compliance with there procedures. Not any kind of standard for quality in a materials sense.

ISO is a standards organisation that publishes thousands of standards including for filler material.

ISO 9000 is a series of quality management standards, ISO 9001 is a standard within the series.

The statement "An ISO Company" is a grab for attention that is, in fact, meaningless as it does not claim conformance with any standard.

Jack