Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
LuckyLeeFPV
    Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:33 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I recently purchased(under false pretense) a ESAB Rebel EMP235ic. I was under the notion that it was a functional AC/DC TIG, Stick, and DC Mig Multi-process machine. It was even advertised as such. Long story short I am now stuck with the machine. I mean I was even sold Aluminum filler rod as well. I spent a large amount of money on this machine and I was super bummed. Now that being said. It states its functional with a Pedal(I purchased as well). Now I am super new to TIG and even this machine. Ive done lots of AC/DC Stick and MIG process welding. Im not claiming to be a welder or anything so please don't beat me up to badly. Anyways, when using the pedal with this machine is it still necessary to perform a lift start? Or am I doing something wrong? Also, for example purposes. Lets say Im welding 1/8"(.125) carbon steel plate. Performing a lap joint on it. Amp setting at 125amps, Argon- 10-12cfm?, Tungsten-HELP Please, Filler Rod-HELP PLEASE, CUP Size-HELP PLEASE? I mean I am just super confused by this machine and if I should bite the bullet now and Buy a Dynasty 210DX or what to do. In the future I had planned on welding Aluminum so AC will be necessary. However, for now Carbon Steel, and Chromoly will be the only thing Im welding. Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read and or reply to this. Im grateful for your time. Know this!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

1/8 steel plate, 120 to 130 A, 3/32 or 1/8 tungsten, 3/32 filler (to start 1/8 in some positions), cup start with a 7 ( good all around size for practice), gas 15 to 25 cfm( depends on joint and weld angels) and accuracy of your flow meter. If your machine has high frequency then use it to start learning. If it doesn’t then your stuck with lift start with or without the pedal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I would:

150A at the machine, control/modulate at the pedal
3/32" in anything but pure tungsten should work, best probably 2%Th, 2%La, 2%Cer, LaYZr, E3.
#7 - #10 cup
2 to 2.5x the size of the cup for the argon flowrate.

The pedal does not "integrate" a HF-start, so if your machine doesn't have it, you'll have to do a lift-arc initiation.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi mate, first thing is relax a bit. Its crap the way the sold it to you, I'll admit. If Im not mistaken that model and I used one a fair bit has the ability to mig aluminium and that is some times overemphasised in advertising i.e. tig welding and alu capable. Regardless its a good machine.a really good machine. Secondly slow up buying crap till you know what youve got. I mean this nicely. Like fishing lures catch alot of fisherman and so does welding gear catch alot of new and old, yes I mean me, welders.
Did you get a mig torch and stick welding handpiece, and obviously tig torch. Then you a pretty set up for anything other than alu tig welding atm,
That machine if its the same as aussie spec does pulse mig as well. For what you would have paid its more than capable.
The thing is to get started on the machine you can get your hands on.
Now you have that machine learn to use that one, I dont believe you will be dissapointed. It is a really good unit for a small business let alone a newer guy. And maybe get another welding equipment shop to go to if you can.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

Gdarc21 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:28 pm That machine if its the same as aussie spec does pulse mig as well. For what you would have paid its more than capable.
It is a good machine - the US version has a better (specified) duty cycle than the Australian version but they are the same machine.

It is a conventional MIG - there is no pulse and for TIG, lift start only.

Jack
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Sorry sMig it is. I knew ours had a feature I never used. Got that wrong. I'll add that to to wife's ever growing list :lol: Still good machine though.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

LuckyLeeFPV wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:49 am I recently purchased(under false pretense) a ESAB Rebel EMP235ic. I was under the notion that it was a functional AC/DC TIG, Stick, and DC Mig Multi-process machine.
Perhaps they thought they were selling the EMP205.

Jack
LuckyLeeFPV

Gentlemen,
Thank you so so very much! Please do not think I didn't like the machine. Because that is not the case. I do really enjoy the machine. I really love the robustness of the unit as a whole. I don't have any plan now to sell or replace the machine. Due to my own personal needs I can honestly say I won't use AC TIG outside my hangar. Which is also my office. Anyways, thank you for the information and since my machine isn't HF start I thought it was Lift start. Now, I am going to take y'alls advice and Ill hold off on purchasing another machine for a year and get some good practice with what I have. However, I am probably going to purchase a good portable or moveable liquid cooled geared head bandsaw if anyone has recommendations? Also when I do decide to purchase my AC GTAW suggestions? Anyways, thank you for all the comments. Can't begin to tell you what it means for even one let alone multiples. Seriously thank you for your time and effort!

LuckyLeeFPV wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:47 am Also when I do decide to purchase my AC GTAW suggestions?
We can help you spend your money very, very well and quickly too! Buy everything now because in case you haven't noticed, everything on planet earth has doubled in price in the last 6 months, buy our wages stay the same! :lol:
LuckyLeeFPV

Oscar wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:45 pm
LuckyLeeFPV wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:47 am Also when I do decide to purchase my AC GTAW suggestions?
We can help you spend your money very, very well and quickly too! Buy everything now because in case you haven't noticed, everything on planet earth has doubled in price in the last 6 months, buy our wages stay the same! :lol:
Oscar,
Don't even get me started on the overhead vs wages. Furthermore, in the US at least(granted our economy dictates the majority of the worlds economy)our economy will continue a downward trend. Especially as we continue to ignore certain world events/issues. Especially when some of us spent years fighting hard for every inch. Then to watch it fall right back into the enemies hands in an extremely short time. To this veteran of OIF/OEF its spitting on the graves of those who made the ultimate sacrifice to bring the rest of us service-members home. Sorry, off topic and don't want to start a political debate. I worked in the Heavy Equipment/Earth Moving/ Mining industry as a mechanic and about 4 years ago I thought I could do better being an auto mechanic and owning my own business. Needless to say, I failed miserably not because of lack of work. I failed because after 2 years I got tired of always being the bad guy. Had a girl one time when I asked her, "How often are you performing routine maintenance on your car?" Her responds was jaw dropping when she said, "I mean like, at least once a week. I put gas in it. Isn't that enough maintenance?" Jaw dropping! Now I am truly blessed with my occupation/hobbies/business/ and life. I couldn't imagine ever being an Precision Agriculture/3d mapping/industrial/surveying Part 107 Commercial drone operator. However, there was definitely some assistance from family to even become operational. As well as an awesome ($$$$$) business partner. Reason for the TIG learning at 36 is because I had built a control arm Baja bug as my first car. Ground up. I MIG'd the whole thing. I still have the Millermatic 255 my folks split the cost with me at 12yrs old. Cost me 2 summers pay of $20 a day digging trench by hand in Arizona. My old man said "If you don't learn a trade you will take mine. I don't care what your mother says about school. You will learn a trade. Then you always have a backup." Landscaping in Arizona in the summer sucks! So does turning wrench in the field and welding in the field! Anyways, I agree with you about the price doubling. Because I ended up buying a Miller Syncrowave 210 Auto-Line Package lightly used yesterday. LOL. I got a pretty good deal I think on it. I wasn't ready to spend $8k plus on a Dynasty 210DX or anything like that. So I think getting a year old Syncrowave 210 for $1100 plus came with 4 packs of Ragnor(ugh) 3/32 E3 tungsten and a ton of filler rod. Plus a 125cuFT Argon bottle. Pretty good deal. Anyways, I would like to pick someones brain on some torch questions for both Syncrowave and my ESAB. Also, this may be another super noob question and probably is an entire thread on this subject. Are the Gas Lens Kits on Amazon any good or garbage? I mean I was going to buy Furick just to support another small business paving his way. Always rather keep my money stateside instead of sending it to Asia. Granted also everything is made in China anymore. Then assembled in the USA. LOL.

exactly which gas lens kits on Amazon are you referring to? You can buy CK Worldwide on Amazon, so.... :)
LuckyLeeFPV

Oscar wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:22 am exactly which gas lens kits on Amazon are you referring to? You can buy CK Worldwide on Amazon, so.... :)
See I am just using the ESAB torch they sold to me as an ADD-ON. It wasn't the CK worldwide kit I can tell you this much. I dunno it was a Cheap kit. I kind of already know what will be said about this link. "You get what you pay for."
https://www.amazon.com/RX-WELD-51PCS-We ... s9dHJ1ZQ==
Now here's another SUPER NOOB question for any and all. Running my ESAB Rebel emp235ic with lift TIG no pedal. Running 3/32" Lathinated Tungsten with #8 cup. Doing a lap weld carbon steel 1/8" to 1/4" carbon steel. Amp setting is at 120A. When I start the lift arc its stable. Machine will turn fan on and then I start getting sparks and nasty sputter. Super confusing to me. Now I will say Im not use to being as clean as I need to with TIG. So I can't say for certain that I insured all mill scale has been removed. Any ideas?

LuckyLeeFPV wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:16 pm Machine will turn fan on and then I start getting sparks and nasty sputter. Super confusing to me. Now I will say Im not use to being as clean as I need to with TIG. So I can't say for certain that I insured all mill scale has been removed. Any ideas?
Without being there we can only guess that the machine is near you and blowing away your argon. What size cup are you using and what is the flowrate you are using? As for the millscale, posting a good pic of your idea of clean will surely be able to tell a good story.

I would avoid any TIG consumable gas lens parts that are not CK or WeldTec based on my own experiences.
LuckyLeeFPV

Oscar wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:10 am
LuckyLeeFPV wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:16 pm Machine will turn fan on and then I start getting sparks and nasty sputter. Super confusing to me. Now I will say Im not use to being as clean as I need to with TIG. So I can't say for certain that I insured all mill scale has been removed. Any ideas?
Without being there we can only guess that the machine is near you and blowing away your argon. What size cup are you using and what is the flowrate you are using? As for the millscale, posting a good pic of your idea of clean will surely be able to tell a good story.

I would avoid any TIG consumable gas lens parts that are not CK or WeldTec based on my own experiences.
For starters, Oscar, thank you for all your help. I apologize for the long delay before response, So I have a 125cuft Argon tank. Purchased from supplier of welder at time of purchase. It already went empty. Still confused as to how it went so fast. However, ended up get 3x300cuft cylinders and back in business. BTW, with the AC/DC GTAW issue from my first post. Surprisingly enough, has been resolved. Or is in the works. Just waiting on my ESAB REBEL EMP205ic to arrive. Also ordered a weldtec 12000btu 3gal water circulator and hopefully the correct CK worldwide 25ft water cooled flex-loc torch. As for Gas Lens I honestly think im going to purchase some Edge cups to see how they work. I also have some Furick cups on the way.
As for your question. I don't have any photos but will post one tomorrow. I don't want to drive back to the hangar to clean some steel and post pictures. I normally get on here right before bed. Anyways, I have been cleaning better, as well as insuring the machine isn't blowing my argon away. Still not clear as to what exact was the culprit. But one of the two was definitely the issue. Now Ive been using a #8 cup with 3/32 tungsten 2% lanthanated. 3/32 ER70S-2. I use a 40grt flap disc on a 4-1/2in angle grinder. Then before welding I wipe metal and filler rod with Acetone. Also I must add that my welding room has a wall mounted ac unit too. I made a deflect last week because again Im in AZ and its still freaking hot here. So no ac= no welding. Also please know my goal is to get proficient enough to TIG all my chromoly joints for my Baja bug im building. I have tack MIG most in joints in place. But would much rather TIG them complete. I don't want to start this until I get my setup dialed in. Any help is appreciated.

For now, it's about all the help you can get until you post actual specific issues/problems/questions you are having/dealing with.

You said you are using a 3/32" ER70S-2 filler rod, but didn't mention the thickness of the base metal. Unless you are welding 1/4" thick steel or thicker, I would suggest putting down the 3/32" filler rod and using 1/16" filler rod for 14ga to 3/16", 0.045" filler rod for 16-14ga, and 0.035" filler rod for anything thinner than 16ga..

So on the cup you said you are now using #8 cup, but didn't mention the flowrate. Everything is critical with TIG.