Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rwings39
    Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:47 pm

I’ve been watching a lot of sanitary stainless tubing videos recently and noticed a lot of them are using the large/jumbo gas lenses with alumina cups. Aside from just personal preference, is there a functional benefit to using these versus a stubby gas lens and alumina cup, assuming the same cup size is used for their respective gas lenses?

Does the beefier size help with walking the cup? Or is there maybe a gas coverage benefit to going through a larger lens before funneling out the same cup exit size? Or maybe something with the combination of a flex head torch and the length/size of the cups for jumbo gas lenses help with torch angle when starting upside down and working your way to the top of the tube?
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i think it depends a bit on what your comparing to.

many use standard gas lens with a wider screened cup (eg furick, which has its own diffuser screens in it) because its easy to swap to smaller cup eg for steel use or tight spaces, even tho it costs more. its a bit of a pain to swap from large size gas lens to standard size gas lens and back all the time.
where as the the large diameter gas lenses are probably used by those who do nothing but stainless and replacing standard non-screened cups is probably cheaper than replacing the furick screened style ones.

the other one you do not see much of these days is the ck gas saver "gas lens". they have the replaceable screen, which is handy if your welding dirty material. buy 5 packs of screens cheaper than a new gas lens.
tweak it until it breaks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Jumbo lenses are preferred by pipeliners as they are easier to use when walking the cup. More than not, they have wide open access to the joint so the stubby isn’t needed. The bulkier cup lays better while allowing you to maintain the arc angle when walking the cup.

Even for welding sanitary, a #8 is plenty of gas coverage because often it’s autogenous welds, or 1/16 filler. And sanitary pipe is frequently small in diameter.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

For staino, the larger the cup the better the coverage and resultant bead colour because of the cooling effect on parent metal larger cups have. I'll often use a jazzy10 or 12 on staino, I only use the really big cups if there are access issues and I need a really long stick out to get into where I need to be.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Coldman wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:49 pm For staino, the larger the cup the better the coverage and resultant bead colour because of the cooling effect on parent metal larger cups have. I'll often use a jazzy10 or 12 on staino, I only use the really big cups if there are access issues and I need a really long stick out to get into where I need to be.
i think hes referring to the ck full length large gas lens compare to the stubby gas lens (ck make a standard length version of that as well).
jody sells a kit.
tweak it until it breaks