Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

If I read correctly you are getting this welder for hobby work???

If so.......so what on the 20% duty cycle. You will not be welding at full output all the time and if you are back off and grab a beer.

I sometimes think people make too big a deal about duty cycle!!!
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

The Duty Cycle is a way of describing how well the welder is at keeping cool.
I used to stick my welders in the snow bank and had much improved duty cycles.
Extra cooling fans will do the same trick. HEAT KILLS ELECTRONICS.
rahtreelimbs wrote:If I read correctly you are getting this welder for hobby work??? If so.......so what on the 20% duty cycle. You will not be welding at full output all the time and if you are back off and grab a beer. I sometimes think people make too big a deal about duty cycle!!!
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

[quote="MinnesotaDave"]Put Miller, Thermal Arc and Lincoln on the list, keep HTP on it.
Personally I don't buy "new" welders.
I have bought over 25 welders off CL and Ebay
Gas driven, large mig feeders, little 115 migs, buzz boxes and so on
You can find used welders all day long for great prices on ebay and cl.
So take a look for some syncrowave, square waves, precsion tigs or dynastys.
$00.2 happy hunting John
;)
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Jake Matthew
    Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:08 pm

I have a couple of Thermal Arcs. A 186 AC/DC, which I basically bought to do aluminum. I've been using an older Thermal Arc 150 GTS for about 16 years. Thing still runs strong. I've welded miles of stainless with that thing. I like it because it is light, portable, and will run on 110/220. Lots of little bells and whistles for an older inverter machine. Stick welds nice too. The 186 is all digital, but easy to set up. I like it too, but I don't have near the miles on that as I do my 150. Cyberweld had a great price on them and I read some reviews and went with it because I've had such good luck with my 150. I'm pretty sure Thermal Arc and Tweco have joined forces now, so maybe they will come out with something else, but the 186 is a pretty new machine from Thermal Arc so who knows.
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

i think, when choosing a welder you have to decide if your doing thicker aluminum on a normal basis. thats going to be key on how big you need to be as far as amps. i think water cooling is a great way to go if you can swing the extra expence. welding aluminum, and even other metals that take a long time to complete the weld can make the torch hot quickly. water cooling keeps your torch parts cooler. especially on the small #9/20 style parts because they are so small. what i did is set up for water cooling #20 and a big #18. then i got a ck flex lock air cooled with both small/big heads in the new flex lock kit ck sells. i can swap out in seconds from air to water and water to air cooled with a dinse connector. very handy for different jobs. about the everlast, i have the 250ex and its a wonderful machine. i have a few minor issues and everlast helped me very well. as far as the performance im pleased. i weld with a dynasty 700 everyday at my work place. before the dynasty we had syncrowave 500's. i also used very old mid 50s machines... i think it does a great job i say dont scratch it off your list!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I just got my HTP Invertig221 DV w/ water cooler. :D

I assure you, it is worth every penny (especially considering I got it during the black friday sale with a total of $300 savings). :P

VooDoo
    Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

has anyone tested out the EVERLAST 320 EXT yet? Its on the market but i cant find any specs from everslasts page?

Edit: found the specs, pretty impressive for the price
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Oscar wrote:I just got my HTP Invertig221 DV w/ water cooler. :D

I assure you, it is worth every penny (especially considering I got it during the black friday sale with a total of $300 savings). :P

ooooooooooooh!! ;)