Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mikechallgren
    Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Which type of electrode is easiest and best to use on Aluminum, pure tungsten or lanthanated?
Mike the wire airplane guy http://www.wiresculptor.net
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If it's for your syncrowave, you won't need pure for anything in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I've used pure for over 25 years and it just never occurred to me to try anything else. I have some Lanth at the shop though. I may revisit it and see what all the excitement is about. I remember trying it when we got the Dynasty, but then it lost favor because of the grinding step, which was one of the benefits of doing aluminum work.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The ability for 2% lanthanated to hold a decent point (assuming you don't go crazy with the DCEP portion of the AC wave) during welding of aluminum is magnficent. :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mikechallgren wrote:Which type of electrode is easiest and best to use on Aluminum, pure tungsten or lanthanated?
Really that question is realitive. It all depends on which way you look at this. I wouldn't say one is really easier than the other because pure will ball up requiring sharpening if you need a crisp arc. Lanthinated works very well and holds a sharper tip longer but as TamJeff mentioned, pure has been used for years without trouble. I personally prefer lanthinated for everything and zirconiated for alum over pure. The real difference will be from the machine type, inverter vs rectifier.
So the question is, which tungsten do you have or you are looking at and what machine are you using?
-Jonathan
Mikechallgren

MinnesotaDave wrote:If it's for your syncrowave, you won't need pure for anything in my opinion.
Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.
Mikechallgren

Superiorwelding wrote:
Mikechallgren wrote:Which type of electrode is easiest and best to use on Aluminum, pure tungsten or lanthanated?
Really that question is realitive. It all depends on which way you look at this. I wouldn't say one is really easier than the other because pure will ball up requiring sharpening if you need a crisp arc. Lanthinated works very well and holds a sharper tip longer but as TamJeff mentioned, pure has been used for years without trouble. I personally prefer lanthinated for everything and zirconiated for alum over pure. The real difference will be from the machine type, inverter vs rectifier.
So the question is, which tungsten do you have or you are looking at and what machine are you using?
-Jonathan
Thank you for all of this information. I have been hearing about lanthanated and will probably get some and give it a go. I also have some zirconiated. I have the Miller Syncrowave 180 SD. At some point I will look into an inverter machine, but for now it's the machine that I have.
Mikechallgren

MinnesotaDave wrote:If it's for your syncrowave, you won't need pure for anything in my opinion.
Thank you!
Mikechallgren

TamJeff wrote:I've used pure for over 25 years and it just never occurred to me to try anything else. I have some Lanth at the shop though. I may revisit it and see what all the excitement is about. I remember trying it when we got the Dynasty, but then it lost favor because of the grinding step, which was one of the benefits of doing aluminum work.
Thank you. Is it because the lanthanated doesn't ball like the pure? Or is it because it works better with inverter machines?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Mikechallgren wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote:
-Jonathan
Thank you for all of this information. I have been hearing about lanthanated and will probably get some and give it a go. I also have some zirconiated. I have the Miller Syncrowave 180 SD. At some point I will look into an inverter machine, but for now it's the machine that I have.
I would get 1.5% or 2% (better) Lanthinated and use your zirconiated and call it a day. That should be all you need. Honestly the Lanthinated will work for everything you will do.
-Jonathan
Mikechallgren

Oscar wrote:The ability for 2% lanthanated to hold a decent point (assuming you don't go crazy with the DCEP portion of the AC wave) during welding of aluminum is magnficent. :)
Thank you, I'll probably try some lanthanated.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

My LWS doesn't have 2% Lanthanated... who's a good online source? Ebay?
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Diamond Ground Precision offers presharpened stingers and full 7" sticks in all blends including their own proprietary blends. Sylvania also makes tungsten I believe too, as well as CK Worldwide I think?
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

GlenC wrote:. who's a good online source? Ebay?
Arc Zone have them, and quality brands

http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_ ... x&cPath=14
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

weldingcity.com has some, but "house brand", as well as www.usaweld.com.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

when DCEN and high amps ball the tungsten , increase tungsten size, sometimes only pure gets it done without contamination,lots of methods suit different,people,machines,materials, and applications.

Take notes and expierment

and some people(welders) can do anything with nothing but a flame and a coat hanger
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Just curious, is using lanthanated for a repair / build-up on aluminum that must be machined after welding, as safe as using quality brown zirconium ( no risk of tungsten particles to kill the cutter )