Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
madmetal
    Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:42 pm

good part
good part
good.jpg (70.14 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Received a call from a young lady that wanted a part fabricated. Turns out it is part of the aluminum engine casting that front axle bolts into. I told her no but because of curiosity asked her more about the load it would be under. She said the mechanic told her to get the part fabricated and welded in and there was a weld shop in town that does that kind of work. Its beyond my scope but would be curious on opinions if it is even a safe weld/repair.
Attachments
bust housing
bust housing
broken.jpg (117.39 KiB) Viewed 640 times
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

My general rule of thumb is if I am not 100% sure about it and it is someone else's project, I don't do it. If it was a part for my own vehicle I MIGHT attempt it if it doesn't hold my life in the balance. If I was to do it I would probably fill that all in and build it up, drill it and tap it. That is my personal opinion. If you aren't comfortable then don't practice on someone else's stuff.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

My far I'm no tig ally expert, but I have seen similar repairs done many times.
What car is it?
If it's a jap car I would dare say the quality of ally will allow easy welding.
I have a soldering iron!
Ron66
    Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:44 pm

That looks like a sand casted part. Sand casted aluminum is pretty pure and I have had great results welding it. Much easier than die cast parts. Still there is always the fear of litigation if the weld failed and someone got hurt.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Can it be fixed, yes. Would I fix it for a customer, probably not. Would I do it for a friend ;)
-Jonathan