Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jayslice1221
    Wed May 14, 2014 10:49 am

Please help!! I am working on a project for work here at Fluxtronic where our owner has bought a Dynasty 350 and asked me to learn how to tig aluminum ;).. So I have and Im not bad at all. But just as soon as I THINK, "Hey, Ive got this".. he wants me to fab these two ramps for our airplane. Little 36x14 aluminum ramps that im trying to weld on .060 angle with holes drilled out every inch or two onto the 1/8" plate. Reason for this is we are going to use silicon as the support and have a perfect mold to the ground so we need holes in the angle and square so the silicon can grab onto and stay on the bottom of the ramp... So my problem here is warpage and if I should use pulse or not. I have been using 130a average with 70 percent balance and 200 htz. soft square. Please help me or post video of technique or settings and even set up of material because my dumbass can keep the ramps from warping. Im using a number 7, 1/16 gas lens, 1/16 electrode cs310 torch watercooled
    Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:21 pm

have you tried using a piece of steel clamped onto the aluminum,close to where you will be welding, but not in the way
of the weld joint- the steel will suck up the heat.. some people use copper or other metal- but steel works fine
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

I use backers as mentioned in the post above to minimize it, and I build in an order that allows me to straighten as I go. I often use the larger quick grip bar clamps with wood shims as a fulcrum. I will clamp one side tight to the bench, put the wood shim where I need it to tweak, and then use another bar clamp to apply the steady pressure. If I need more pressure, I use two clamps, or even three or a huge C clamp. Sometimes I use 2 x 4's as levers or fabricate one for a specific duty.

Basically, outsmart the condition and plan ahead for it until it becomes a habit if you are going to fabricate in aluminum. Another way to minimize distortion is to use a spool gun. It will weld it faster, and sometimes, it makes all the difference.

If you can, post a picture of the part and how it is warping.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.