Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
aliaz
    Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 am

Hi!

I'm shopping for a TIG welder, and have a question. Cost not being a factor, which feature is more important to you...advanced waveforms (Dynasty 280DX), or independent amperage control (HTP 221, Dynasty 350DX)?

EN balance and independent amperage control seem to do the same thing, although independent amperage control also seems to also affect the penetration according to the brochure on the 350DX.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Why not get the best of both worlds and get a Dynasty 350DX? :D

I'm a bit partial to the Invertig221, even though I haven't messed too much with the independent amplitude controls. But given the opportunity (and the cash) I'd have just gotten a 350DX. Either way you can't go wrong unless you are doing something like aerospace type work, at which point you'd already have a 350DX :)

Oh, and EN balance also affects the penetration just as having a greater EN:EP ratio does.
mtlhe
    Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:33 am

I recently faced the same delima. I ultimately choose the 280DX over the 350 because the 280DX had a better duty cycle on single phase(which is where its life will primarily be), price difference for the extra amps was a consideration, and Miller is working on an upgrade for independent amplitude control for the 280DX thus it will have every feature the 350 has.
I don't tig anything that 280amps can't handle. If it's that big, I mig weld it.
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

What about the 255ext from everlast?
I have a soldering iron!
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Drifta-X wrote:What about the 255ext from everlast?
I wouldn't buy from them, but that's just me.

Good to hear Miller is offering the independent amplitude control for the 280DX. Makes it an even better machine.
aliaz
    Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:50 am

Will this upgrade to allow independent amplitude be a software upgrade? Does anyone know the ETA on this? This is good news!

Thanks!