Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

This is my first part on this forum, been watching Jody's videos for a while now.

I've been tig welding at work for about a year and a half and have been wanting to get my own tig. Well I got a everlast powertig 185 about 3 months ago and have been trying to geta few projects welding. A guy I work with wanted me to make him a tray out of stainless steel. I've got the stainless, got it cut out, and just need to bend it and weld it. My question is, can i get a weld with decent results using aluminum as backing? I just dint have the capability right now to back purge the welds.
    Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Aluminum will work fine just make sure it it tight to the joint and covers the entire joint.
Learn 6010 and you will learn to weld
Follow the progress of my students on Twitter @PentaWelding
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

dsmabe,
Welcome to the forum! I agree, alum backing held tightly in the joint will work well. There are other methods as well. I have used aluminum foil wrapped tightly in the corner, there are products like Solar Flux that would work as well.
-Jonathan
dsmabe

Thanks everyone for the advise, when I bought the stainless, I bought some aluminum angle that has a sharp outside corner to use for backing. I've been trying to get a chance to finish it up and have been watching a few videos on welding stainless. Watching those made me want to get advice on using the aluminum as backing, since this is a 1 off piece and I'd have to order a new sheet of stainless if it's messed up, I want to get it right the first time.

I understand wanting to get it right. For the best help, get us some pictures before you begin. How thick/thin is the material. If you have never some this before it might be best to do a few practice runs, if applicable.
-Jonathan
dsmabe

I'll try to post some pictures as soon as I get a chance to get back to welding. It is 20 ga. 304 stainless and I planned on making the welds outside corner joints. Although part of me wants to try welding it from the inside since the tray is going to have water in it all the time.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

20g open outside corner can be troublesome for a beginner, the alum backing will really help. I'd start at 40-50amps with a .040"-.0625" tungsten, #7 cup and 10cfh, I'd also use a .030-.035 filler rod (mig wire can also be used).

If this is a closed outside corner and your just fusing that would work as well but I prefer to add a little filler personally.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
dsmabe

I tried getting a smaller filler rod but the smallest my local supply shops had was 1/16. I've been using 3/32 tungsten sharpened to a needle point. I've even tried my hand at welding razor blades. I'll see if i can post a picture.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

dsmabe wrote:I tried getting a smaller filler rod but the smallest my local supply shops had was 1/16. I've been using 3/32 tungsten sharpened to a needle point. I've even tried my hand at welding razor blades. I'll see if i can post a picture.
If you can do an outside corner on those razor blades, you'll do that tank with your eyes closed! :D
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
dsmabe

20140922_122122.jpg
20140922_122122.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 533 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Okay,

First, NICE!

Second... Too much spare time?

;)

Well done.

Steve S
dsmabe

Lol, thanks, and no, not nearly enough free time. It's been about a month working on a project that should have taken maybe an hour. But I did have to start a side project to finish the original.

Ok, I don't even think I can weld razor blades that good! You will be fine. A inside weld really isn't necessary and it is a lot harder to do than the outside.
-Jonathan
Legion
    Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Woah, that's good. Got details on the settings you used, out of interest?
dsmabe

3/32 e3 tungsten sharpened to a needle point. Aluminum backing, 15cfh, 5 amps (as low as the machine would go) and actually had 1 blade overlap the other by about .5mm
dsmabe

Figured I'd update here, been busy with work, sick, appointments, etc. But was able to spend a little time in the garage late this evening. Finished a homemade metal brake to bend some stainless, only to find out a design oversight in the stainless tray I'm building kept me from using the brake I made.
The top of the tray is wider than the base, so if I used the brake, I would have bent a extra bend in the sides leaving me nothing to weld.
I ended up getting the tray bent, clamped some aluminum angle for backing and realized I have to pick up some deeper clamps to hold the aluminum all the way to the bottom.
So there's where I am for now, got some great practice in with my tig and fired up my small flux core welder. Got some great welds with it, was thinking about making a mock weld and cutting it to see the weld nugget. Was trying a different technique and seemed to burn in really good for a 110v flux core.
Anyway, hope to pick up a few things tomorrow, and get the time, and finally wrap this little project up. I'll post a picture when it's done.