Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
CBPayne
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

I was tacking up some ss exhaust and blew one hole because I had the amps too high, even though I put the first tac in. I then lowered the amps had no problem with a few more tacs. Then the second hole was from two pieces that were uneven. Diameter of the holes 3/16" to 1/4". How do I fill in these holes?
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

For holes that big I would either use the lay wire technique and weave it, or run small beads on one side and keep stacking them until the hole is filled.
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

What machine/settings are you using? Panel controlled amps or pedal controlled?
If you can reach inside with aluminum or copper you can use that to back the hole and make it easier, but can be done without backing, just watch your heat input.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Bigger wire helps when it's kept in the hole during tacking. Also sometimes it's a good idea to turn root gas as down as possible or shut down completely when filling holes.
-Markus-
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Sometimes it is easier to start the arc on the filler rod, specially on thin material and with irregular gaps. Works well when filling holes too. Why do I know that? :roll:
CBPayne
    Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 pm

dsmabe wrote:What machine/settings are you using? Panel controlled amps or pedal controlled?
If you can reach inside with aluminum or copper you can use that to back the hole and make it easier, but can be done without backing, just watch your heat input.
Machine Miller diversion 180
I was tacking without filler the first tack was good at 120 amps, the second tack melted the tungsten and blew that hole. I know your supposed to weld ss at low amps but I thought quick fires would hurt.
Anyways I lowered to 98 then to about 92. I was using the hand control.