Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Okay.

The other day, I was welding some 5mm aluminum (if I remember correctly). Nothing special, but my electrode kept splitting on me. I ran my welder between 60 and 120 Hz, and I dialed down my DC pre-heat as much as possible, but it didn't help much.

I exclusively buy 2% lathanated electrodes (the easy solution), and this one was a 2,4mm electrode run at 150-180 amps, with pure argon. Am I expecting too much from my electrode, and have been lucky through the years? Cause I don't think I was abusing the tungsten. Granted, I was running on Ac, but still, I was only welding 30mm beads at the time (restricted access).

My boss makes me buy consumables at our "local" welding supplier, but sometimes, I have the feeling that he deals with cheapo parts. Sometimes even the gas cups feels weird and "less nice" than what I keep at home.

So, is he giving me cheap electrodes, or am I trying to put the blame on the hardware, when I'm just pushing the limit?
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

That amperage range should be well within the limits of that size. I have had more than one electrode over the years that had a linear crack in it, it happens. These were all premium brands.

Len

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

I have been having quite a bit of trouble with this lately as well. It has been happening with 3/32 and 1/8 2% lanthanated electrodes. Both are different brands too. I have experienced this on AC as well in the same amperage range but between 100 and 150hz.

I would be very interested to hear what the cause is.
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Same here. At 150+ splitting on the 3/32, but as long as I'm under 150 amps I can weld all day. Got some 1/8 in. but haven't used them yet.
I will say that I'm using a Syncro 250 and weld Alum. mostly. Settings on the penetration side,9, post flow @10 seconds.
Don't get to weld much steel, but turn to "Balanced" when I do. The amps are never as high as when I weld Alum.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Breaking off the tungsten end with pliers/dykes, etc.; prior to point grinding, is a great way to induce
tight fracturing down the length. Grinding off the used end with cutoff wheel, etc. doesn't do that.
alex4nder
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:24 am

dave powelson wrote:Breaking off the tungsten end with pliers/dykes, etc.; prior to point grinding, is a great way to induce
tight fracturing down the length.
^ what he said. I don't know if it's a fluke, but I've had more splits with mistreatment of 2% lanthanated tungsten than other varieties. I have my best luck with grinding, or breaking off a globbed end of a tungsten using the sharp edge of a table and a hammer (as long as the tungsten is properly supported).
450dualsport

I have never broken the end off a messed up tungsten. I have always cut it off with the edge of a grinding wheel. I don't think that is the cause in my case.

The splits that I have been seeing are more like the end of the tungsten is frayed. The splits don't go up very far - maybe about a millimeter or two.
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

How do you cut tungsten before grinding? I mean when you take a new tungsten and cut it in half for example. Some grades tends to leave micro cracks when cutted wrong.
-Markus-
Mick
  • Mick
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:26 pm

dave powelson wrote:Breaking off the tungsten end with pliers/dykes, etc.; prior to point grinding, is a great way to induce
tight fracturing down the length.
I didn't consider that! I might have given the tungsten a knock on the edge of the table, cause I do that, when I'm in a hurry.

Markus wrote:How do you cut tungsten before grinding? I mean when you take a new tungsten and cut it in half for example. Some grades tends to leave micro cracks when cutted wrong.
I don't cut my electrodes in half. I keep a stock of older, shorter electrodes, that have been grinded shorter over time.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

I think with the very variable electrode quality :shock: (rephrase that, standards ! ) these days, it would be a good idea to always mention the tungsten brand when asking about a problem. And your country.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Bah.... you weenies just need to weld on DC with straight helium and all these electrode problems will disappear :mrgreen:
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

When I cut a tungsten in half, I spin it on the edge of a grinding wheel, as though I'm sharpening each end of two tungstens, until they separate. Then I "detail" each half. One end only.

Steve S
450dualsport

Otto Nobedder wrote:When I cut a tungsten in half, I spin it on the edge of a grinding wheel, as though I'm sharpening each end of two tungstens, until they separate. Then I "detail" each half. One end only.

Steve S
That's exactly what I do. Do you have any splitting issues?

450dualsport wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:When I cut a tungsten in half, I spin it on the edge of a grinding wheel, as though I'm sharpening each end of two tungstens, until they separate. Then I "detail" each half. One end only.

Steve S
That's exactly what I do. Do you have any splitting issues?
Nope. Not since I began this practice. I'll have to look to see what brand I'm using.

Steve S
450dualsport

My 3/32 tungstens are Weldcraft and my 1/8 tungstens are HTP. Both split. I think I might try some Diamond Ground next.

Turns out, WeldCraft is the brand we have...

Steve S
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Some years ago I asked the CKWW rep at the Essen show if their tungstens were US made or Chinese. He said CK used 3 Chinese manufacturers and CK regularly QC'd the products; I guess Boeing would not be impressed at all with sub-standard electrodes.
It could be that a brand is sourcing from several vendors................or several brands using the same vendor; how cheap can we go.

Some of the worst for splitting I found were Plansee Gold 1/16" lanthanated, cut the same way as Steve described and also with a death wheel, both spinning and stationary electrode.

Total garbage. Never had these problems with 2% thoriated and brown zirconium !
aeroplain
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I ran an 1/8" all day on AC today with no splitting; switched to 3/32 at the end of the day, no splits. Running @250 amps floored on the 1/8th and 175 floored on the 3/32. The difference from my earlier experience is the grind. When I first started using 2% Lanth, I was grinding to a pencil point in an attempt to keep the puddle smaller- splits above 150 amps. Today I ground as if pure tungsten was in use- no splitting. This is in no way the answer, but time will tell.

Electrodes are from Weld City
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

tight fracturing down the length. Grinding off the used end with cutoff wheel, etc. doesn't do that.

Yes ! I split the tungsten numerous times by breaking it .I use a cut off now .No more spitting.
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)