Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

When you accidently reposition your pinky prop finger over the vent and blow out the last 1/8" of weld...lol man I was pissed. Had to cut the sanitary fitting off and re-weld.
Attachments
316L 1.50" sanitary tubing.
316L 1.50" sanitary tubing.
IMG_20141217_212649721.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 1019 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:23 am

Been there done that :lol:
-Markus-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've actaully (and unfortunately) done that often enough that I recognize it coming on.

Ususally I see it about a half-second too late to stop it, but I see it coming. It sucks on a code weld.

Steve S
Rick_H

Otto Nobedder wrote:I've actaully (and unfortunately) done that often enough that I recognize it coming on.

Ususally I see it about a half-second too late to stop it, but I see it coming. It sucks on a code weld.

Steve S
Yeah I noticed the puddle acting funky right before it blew...been fighting a small dark/black area on my stops after I pickle, found my gas hose connection at the dinse was loose. Hopefully that was that issue, I liftee started everything but I may have to hook my torch switch back up, really don't need to taper off and its a little acquired with the pedal. Guess I'll find out shortly have about 100-125ft of pipe I want to get ran today.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

That black spot is on outside of the pipe? Sometimes you can't avoid those black stops at the end of the weld. Those are just "inpurities" from metal or from your tungsten or gas. Nothing to worry imo as long as those are eliminated with pickling. Btw do you clean parts before welding?
-Markus-
Rick_H

Markus wrote:That black spot is on outside of the pipe? Sometimes you can't avoid those black stops at the end of the weld. Those are just "inpurities" from metal or from your tungsten or gas. Nothing to worry imo as long as those are eliminated with pickling. Btw do you clean parts before welding?
Yes on the outside only, I just grabbed a new piece of tungsten as well the other had ran its course and was only about 1.5" in length...lol I wipe all parts down before welding. I'll report back later getting ready to weld some up after break.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

Much better, I think my post purge was really lacking with the fitting loose at my dinse connector.

Here's one of the nice configurations I did tonight, always nervous when I'm tapping into lines that ran 198.3 proof alcohol.
Attachments
IMG_20141220_173941817.jpg
IMG_20141220_173941817.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 846 times
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Not to hijack the thread, just a quick side note: this thread reminded me to drill a vent hole yesterday... thanks!
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Good to hear :)

That clamp tool! WOW!! :shock: Where did you bought it?
-Markus-
Rick_H

You like that huh? Very useful, make aligning and mock up very easy...

http://www.techsouthinc.com/pipeclamps/tigtack.html
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Interested? Me?.... Hell yeah! :D

Thanks for sharing! How much those cost btw? There wasn't prizes announced.
-Markus-
Rick_H

Markus wrote:Interested? Me?.... Hell yeah! :D

Thanks for sharing! How much those cost btw? There wasn't prizes announced.
I can look up exactly what I paid for it tomorrow I believe it was around $125

I found this listing on http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VRUX9 ... SY200_QL40
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Rick_H wrote:You like that huh? Very useful, make aligning and mock up very easy...

http://www.techsouthinc.com/pipeclamps/tigtack.html
Very nice ! Thanks for the info .
Rick_H

@Markus- when you do sanitary pipe do you do straight pulls or little circles for autogenius?
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote: ...autogenius?...
I think I like that word.

I can't decide if it was a typo, or you wrote it that way on purpose.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

That's a smart car guy???

weldin mike 27 wrote:That's a smart car guy???
No. The guy driving the "smart car" is a hippie...

Or "hipster".

I can't tell them apart today.

The smell. The hippy smells of roach and BO. The hipster smells of double soy mocha latte and Shea butter body scrub.
Rick_H

Ha ha ha.. didn't even realize that, damn android auto correct changes it!

Autogenous

@Otto Nobedder

what about you guys steady pulls or little circles?
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

weldin mike 27 wrote:The smell. The hippy smells of roach and BO. The hipster smells of double soy mocha latte and Shea butter body scrub.
Choking back laughter so I don't wake my wife, you ass!

That was perfect.

Steve S

Happy to help. Hipsters can also be spotted by some kind of ear phones. The bigger the better.

Rick_H wrote:@Markus- when you do sanitary pipe do you do straight pulls or little circles for autogenius?

Sorry for the delay...

On thin pipe I weld without filler (90%) and I always use pulsed current. Something like 50 percent diffence (like 50 A and 25 A) on current and pulsing time 0.15/0.25 or 0.2/.04 or 0.1/0.3 sec.
As I do quite much orbital welding and programming, have I noticed that different steel patches sometimes act very differently and therefore I change my pulse setting every now and then.

I don't like that little circulating movement that Jody showed in one video. I think it's slower and takes too much effort compared to pulsed bead. Also with pulsed current you are able to get better or should I say neater root.

About that pipe clamping tool. Hmm it's quite expensive :o Considering that it can only be used in one size of pipe.
-Markus-
Owr
  • Owr
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 am

I think this is a good video for showing sanitary pipe welding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL1A8vZ9Fqk

Don`t forget to turn the subtitles on.
Rick_H

Thanks Markus, yeah it is a tad expensive but 90% of the pipe I use is 1.50" so it paid for itself quickly. I've been playing with Pulse but I'm not getting 100% penetration all the time and my Maxstar 150sth that I use a lot only has balanced pluse 50% max, 50% background so I've not been happy with the overall heat input. Next time I do some samples I'll post up pics.

Orbitally is awesome....
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Indeed if you know that you do a lot of same pipe size, then it will be a real bargain :) Let's wait for 5 years and I think we can then have cheap 3D-printed metal parts.

Definitely post some pics. I will add some too in near future. Also I need to do a new welding program with orbital, so I will post it also in near future.
-Markus-