Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
adrynalinjunkie
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:26 pm

So I have had my new HTP 221 Invertig for about a week...

My only complaint is the water cooler ...HTP Arctic Chill 5460 has a LOUD mechanical fan...

I had to extend my 25' torch the full distance away from the welder just to be able to hear the gas shut off on my torch..

I have been wondering about pulling the mechanical fan and installing a quieter electric cooling fan...

What do you guys think?

Any know of a good 240 VAC electric cooling fans too recommend for me to try?

This thing is so overbuilt with the 2 gallon tank and monster cooling coils... I can't believe it needs that big (Noisy) of a fan
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i have the same unit but have not finished the cart
for it so i haven't heard the fan yet.
ill follow this post and see what input you get
if its a simple fix ill jump on board.
no one likes loud..
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

This is my only complaint about the cooler as well. It is significantly louder than the miller equivalent. I will be following along as I've been considering this as well.
SmartDave
    Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 pm

So of you who have this cooler as I do, have you had any issues with the flow alarm going off yet coolant is still flowing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

sorry have not used the cooler yet
hope this is not a bad omen.
i have always used miller stuff but
thought i would try something new.
anyone have issues with this welder
and chiller?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
SmartDave

Craig

I have had zero issues except for the flow alarm and it seems it's only when using the 25foot torch. Other than that I love the invertig with the cooler. Works every time I have played with it, and as a new TIG welder I use it ALOT to practice

Dave

adrynalinjunkie

[quote="SmartDave"]So of you who have this cooler as I do, have you had any issues with the flow alarm going off yet coolant is still flowing?

The flow alarm would not shut off with my 25 foot torch so I called HTP tech-support and the guy told me how to plug or I just folded over the small blue pressure reducing tube and zip tied it this increase the flow rate enough so that the alarm goes off and functions as it should.
Give it a try just take the top of the cooler off it's the only small blue hose going into the tank at the top
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Don't be such pansies, it ain't that loud! Make it sound like there is a jet turbine at take-off :lol:
SmartDave

A-junky

Thanks, I just did that exact thing yesterday :-). And yes it seems to have done the trick

SmartDave

I have no issue with the sound of the cooler, I just turn my radio up a little louder :-)
450dualsport
    Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

Mine is a bit loud, but I don't find it obnoxious. Mine doesn't have an alarm. I think they came out with that feature just after I bought mine. Anyway, I've had no issues with it. It works great.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

My flow alarm will sometimes stay on when I first start it up. Turning it off and then on again will usually take care of it. Sometimes I have to give the lines going into and out of the Dinse connector a shake to get it to stop. But it hasn't persisted once I do those things.

I usually wear ear plugs when I'm welding on AC. And I switch to a 9 torch if I know I will be running DC for at least a few days. So I don't mind the cooler fan noise. But I could see some people thinking it's loud. It's definitely the loudest piece of equipment in my shop.
gamble
    Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:10 pm

It's not as loud as my TA 186. consider yourself's lucky :mrgreen:
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

SmartDave wrote:So of you who have this cooler as I do, have you had any issues with the flow alarm going off yet coolant is still flowing?

Only when my weldcraft torch is attached. No proems with the ck

Doing my bi-annual cooler flush, dragged out the cheap-o Rat Shack SPL meter. 75 measely dBA at 0.5m away. What are people crying about? Cats meow louder than this :lol:

adrynalinjunkie

Update!

Well I ordered a 220VAC 6" fan that was rated at 240 CFM

I ran the pump with no fan (once I unbolted the mechanical fan) (Left hand thread bolt BTW)
and most of the noise is from the pump... its still loud...but not bad..

I then installed the 240 CFM electric fan and started running 90 amps pulse on some 16 gauge tube...

The electric fan was almost as loud as the mechanical was, and guess what I found out?

The flow sensor must also double as a water temp sensor because after about a hour it started alarming! :x

I never took a temp reading but the pump was dang hot...

I then pulled the electric fan a re-installed the factory mechanical... once It ran for about 10 minutes I could re-arm the sensor and it never activated again...

Conclusion... Don't waste $40 on a electric fan, the factory mechanical fan pushes way over 220cfm...

I did see that the pump was made in Italy... I figured this cooler was a China export since Everlast buys the same cooler and re-badges it.

I am very impressed with this cooler and will live with the 75DBA I have done alot of practice welding 1/4 Fillet welds around 200 Amps and the torch NEVER gets hot!

Thanks for confirming what I had hypothesized :)
SmartDave

Good to know, thanks.