Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm

I can't figure out how to keep the edge {corner of pieces} from going away with a simple bracket. I shot myself in the foot learning to weld tube right off the start I guess....maybe light up on a piece of copper then move to the corner to fuse it first? Tried getting a bead there and lighting up on the bead to go across...no cookies there. Any tricks to learn here? Running out of scrap .040" molly sheet...#8 gas lens..1/16 ceriated....20cfh...45 amps
I have no issues with running a bead across the cut off end of a .035 tube....but this has kicked my can to the curb :roll: The bracket has to be made similar to this...offset so it can be riveted along the outside edge...just need to keep a strong corner
Attachments
0409151718.jpg
0409151718.jpg (28.02 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Building an airplane is at times somewhat like a divorce.....with the exception that she doesn't leave
J.J. Flash
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That's a fun exercise.

When you come to that end of the bracket, you MUST tail off, to what will feel like almost nothing, and tail off, and then "button off", a short burst ( or two or three) to melt a bit of extra filler. Have patience... hold that post-flow on it each time, until it no longer glows before you attempt to fill it.

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Steve I'm surprised you didn't mention me after he made the shot in the foot reference!!!

Seriously though, this is one of my biggest problems as well when welding thin shit metal. What Steve mentioned definitely helps, I've also found that welding a small section from just inside the corner to the edge first, on both edges helps as well. It's not necessarily the most aesthetic way to do it, but you can do it before you get any heat built up in the part.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:Steve I'm surprised you didn't mention me after he made the shot in the foot reference!!!

I didn't feel sadistic enough to beat that dead horse at the moment, but thanks for noticing!

:lol:

Steve S

GreinTime wrote:Steve I'm surprised you didn't mention me after he made the shot in the foot reference!!!

I've also found that welding a small section from just inside the corner to the edge first, on both edges helps as well. It's not necessarily the most aesthetic way to do it, but you can do it before you get any heat built up in the part.
This is good, while the bracket is still room temp start at the end, if you don't, then by the time you get there the bracket is very warm (hot) and the end will be impossible to do.
You can also place the filler tip right at the end and start the arc on the filler and let the arc push the filler into the corner, hard to describe, maybe get some steel or stainless and practice on that before using the real material. If you get the filler into the end of the joint, then you can carefully wash over later to make it look better.
Richard
Website