Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Coolidge wrote: You won't BUT its not uncommon for people to grind tungsten against the rotation of the wheel so they can see what they are doing. I absolutely would not do that on this wheel I think its quite likely to catch on the perforations. I turn the grinder around so it spins away from me and grind that way.

Here's another info nugget. I purchased a 100 grit standard wheel at first, it produced a real smooth grind but this 180 grit diamond wheel is so sharp the tungsten actually looks rougher ground. Hence my recommendation to go with the 320.
Ok thanks, I don't grind tungsten that way so all should be good. I'll buy the 320 and report back.
Richard
Website

Braehill wrote:LtBadd,
You definitely don't feel the perforations while you're using it.

I must say that I like it very much for shaping lathe bits also, does a fine job. I don't remember the grit on the one I have, I think it's the middle one that they list (see, the memory isn't what it used to be).

Len
Thanks Len much appreciated
Richard
Website
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

I may go ahead and buy the 320 grit also and use the 180 for course grinding.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

They are half the price, the question is how long will they last. The grit seems to be applied directly to the wheel vs the steel mesh on the ones McMasterCarr sells.

The youtube video I found describing use of these wheels for grinding tungsten noted that a welding school using the McMastercarr wheel has 5,000 grinds on it and its still going. When you consider how often students dip the tungsten into the puddle and regrind I thought that was pretty amazing. The video author has 300 grinds on his and he says it still looks new.

I ordered the 320 grit wheel today.

Coolidge wrote: the question is how long will they last...

...The youtube video I found describing use of these wheels for grinding tungsten noted that a welding school using the McMastercarr wheel has 5,000 grinds on it and its still going
to me the real question is: who is keeping track of all those grinds??? :lol:

Oscar wrote:

...The youtube video I found describing use of these wheels for grinding tungsten noted that a welding school using the McMastercarr wheel has 5,000 grinds on it and its still going
Probably the EPA that sounds like something stupid they would spend a billion dollars doing. :lol:

Coolidge wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Probably the EPA that sounds like something stupid they would spend a billion dollars doing. :lol:
I guess if I ever did a diamond wheel on a bench grinder, I'd buy the ebay one---McMaster stopped selling to me a while back. They flat out cancelled my order and told me I was not allowed to order ever again. :(
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

That's flat out impressive, because those assholes would sell eye glasses to a blind guy.
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-

Oscar wrote:I guess if I ever did a diamond wheel on a bench grinder, I'd buy the ebay one---McMaster stopped selling to me a while back. They flat out cancelled my order and told me I was not allowed to order ever again. :(
Because...??
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Coolidge wrote:
Oscar wrote:I guess if I ever did a diamond wheel on a bench grinder, I'd buy the ebay one---McMaster stopped selling to me a while back. They flat out cancelled my order and told me I was not allowed to order ever again. :(
Because...??

Hmmmmmmmm?????????????
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

Coolidge wrote:
Because...??
Something about my location. I have since deleted the email, but as I recall my geographic location close to Mexico was reason enough for them not to sell to me. I don't know what they think I was doing with the products I would order, but it's not like they weren't getting paid. :?:
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

If I were looking at the 255ext, I would make an offer of $2300 for the machine with the SSC pedal and CK17 torch upgrades. The HTP Invertig 221 comes stock with those top end accessories and the backing of an excellent service company. Even at $2300, I'd still struggle choosing the 255ext over the Invertig 221. Just in my humble opinion of course.

The 255ext has more features, a better duty cycle, plus that HTP 221 is one butt ugly welder dang.

Coolidge wrote:The 255ext has more features, a better duty cycle, plus that HTP 221 is one butt ugly welder dang.
Don't know what you're talking about :lol: Besides, it doesn't have Independent Amplitude Adjustment in AC welding like the Invertig 221 ;)
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

I have had an Everlast 255 EXT with a water cooler for about a year and no problems so far. Never welded with anything else so nothing to compare it to for performance. So far as my opinion on the performance, I think it welds great. I have a CK Flexlock water cooled torch, which I would buy for any machine regardless. I have just started to use the foot pedal and it seems to work smoothly but mostly I use the torch switch. One area I wish Everlast would work on is accessories. They don't sell the torch switch separate from the torch and they don't have an amptrol control for the torch. Weld.com did a nice review on the 325ext welding both thin and thick aluminum. CK tried to develop a steady grip amptrol for the Everlast that was sold through Weld.com but it did not function properly and I sent it back. Something about the ohms for control not being consistent. I hope Everlast continues to work with CK to develop more accessories. So far as dependability, I can buy two Everlast 255EXTs or three 250Exs for the price of one similar Miller or Lincoln and have spares sitting in reserve on the shelf.

So my opinion is if your a big weld shop and need immediate access to support and accessories and can write off the purchase then get a Miller or Lincoln, just get ready to pay big weld shop prices. If you are learning to weld or just garage welding then the Everlast is a great option. My thought is that Miller or Lincoln can't afford in their business model to market a similar welder at the price and undercut what they are getting from the big shops. Consequently with Miller or Lincoln, they make some basic lower amperage low duty cycle welders for home users that don't appeal to professionals and their expensive industrial line-up.
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT
jdwill7
    Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 pm

I work in the miscellaneous & ornamental end of welding. I'm looking to buy an Everlast 325 ext I sometimes need to weld big aluminum tube or 1 inch square bar.

Do you think the 255 ext would work if I use a helium mix or should I go with the 325 ext?
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

jdwill7 wrote:I work in the miscellaneous & ornamental end of welding. I'm looking to buy an Everlast 325 ext I sometimes need to weld big aluminum tube or 1 inch square bar.

Do you think the 255 ext would work if I use a helium mix or should I go with the 325 ext?
With preheat of the material, and/or helium, the 255 will weld 1" square bar. Straight helium on DC will work too. I've done it with both my Everlast and AHP in my Sig. Not pretty though. DC helium takes practice it's a much different looking arc.