Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
DeepSouthWelder
    Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am

Would it even be worth running a scratch start tig rig on a fixed amperage Lincoln AC/DC machine or would I be better off buying an Everlast ,or other quality unit with all the bells and whistles that the ole Lincoln just don't have.If its worth it does anyone sell a scratch start tig kit for a reasonable price ,or would it be cheaper to buy all the components separate. If its not worth it what machine would y'all suggest.
Instagram : natecreel1050_
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Kinda depends if you're learning or not. I wouldn't suggest to learn on scratch start but it you're already well acquainted with the torch and filler I don't see a problem with it.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

This on Craigslist, Minneapolis MN
NOT MINE

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/t ... 59981.html
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Hey DeepSouth.

Just my 2cents. I recently picked up what I believe is the Australian equivalent of an Everlast ACDC pulse TIG with HF start. Had a couple weeks to get used to it before I started on a welding course...where the machines are scratch start.

My opinion is you should go HF. I know that scratch can work well but frankly it drives me nuts. One more thing to concern yourself with that gets in the way of concentrating on a neat weld. And try as I might, every now and then I stick the tungsten to the job and then I'm faced with the choice of re-grinding it or just carrying on with a messed up electrode. I'm lazy, and more often than not I will carry on with a messed up tungsten; shortly thereafter, I have a whole crappy bead that tells the tale of how I should have re-ground my tungsten...

Kym
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

rick9345 wrote:This on Craigslist, Minneapolis MN
NOT MINE

I have a similar model with an old Lincoln tombstone...it works great, I also have water cooling.... It's what I learned to tig with and I am thankful for that. Thought me how to read the puddle and getting settings correct as you have no foot pedal etc....the new technology will spoil you quick.

I've never seen one of those for sale..

My $.02 is if you can afford the newer stuff go for it, the technolgy advancements are worth every penny as far as the arc, the starting, and the ease of welding plus uses a lot less electricity as well. Plus it will just slide under your bench. As the new inverters can be quite compact, I was shocked how powerful my little Miller Maxstar 150sth is.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I first learned to TIG while working afield. The machine was a lincoln in a six-pack several hundred feet from me. I learned with a valved torch, no remote, but did have the (slight) advantage of lift-arc over scratch-start. I did not walk a football field to adjust the amperage; I learned to adjust my rhythm to the setting I had.

Not the easiest way to learn, but if you learn it this way, all the controls, bells, and whistles you get as you upgrade are "bonus", as you already have the skill.

Just one opinion in an ocean of them.

Steve S
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

+1 for scratch start. I'm getting my rig set up, just lacking a $50 HTP flowmeter, which I should be able to get in a couple weeks.

I have ran scratch start before and loved it. I figure that's what the old pioneers did, so its good enough for me. Plus, you'll get to learn to work with what you've got, like Otto said. To me, there's something to be said for being able to run low-tech. It almost seems like a dying art.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

rick9345 wrote:This on Craigslist, Minneapolis MN
NOT MINE

What was it? They must have sold it before I could see.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press