Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Have to replace this ammonia compressor suction stop valve because it is stuffed (leaking gland and not repairable) and it's obsolete, no chance of getting another flanged valve to fit. Nothing for it but to fab up a weld valve and flange. I'll take out the rusty elbow too which is stick welded and could be full of slag inclusions from 6013, don't want to fight with it on a Saturday ammonia pumpout and shutdown of coldstore.
R1a.jpg
R1a.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Here's the new valve, its French made and a nice drop forged body. Drew up a 3/4" plate flange and and gave to local machine shop. Drew up a gasket and took to local manufacturer.
R2.jpg
R2.jpg (87.35 KiB) Viewed 617 times
The body comes with 37* butt preps but a bit much land for my liking, I'll give it a knife edge.
R3.jpg
R3.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 617 times
A couple of root passes.
R4.jpg
R4.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Elbow goes on
R5.jpg
R5.jpg (70.76 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Ready for flange which just came in
R6.jpg
R6.jpg (46.52 KiB) Viewed 617 times
And ready for site tomorrow including another 1/2" bypass they added this afternoon "it'll only take you a minute"
R7.jpg
R7.jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 617 times
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Nice! Looks like a typical compressor room. Lots of oil barrels to stand on to cut out the old pipe. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Coldman

Yer. And half of it in the floor. Gonna degrease it before I start if they have not done it already as asked.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Hey my NH3 brother, what's is on a Vilter Recip or a Howden Screw lol. I have did a LOT of work on Anhydrous Ammonia pipeline and cold storage facilities. The average people think of household ammonia, they have no idea what a whiff of the stuff you deal with is like. Have you guys ever shrunk paper money with the ammonia over there?

And you know when you shut down cold storage tomorrow the barometer will be falling not rising, always happens that way, flare working? :lol:
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

No kidding had a leak awhile back, evacuated the dept till we could find the leak and repair....the smell literally takes your breath away.

Nice job! Gotta love those last min additions, only take a min always adds some hours.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Yep, I have spent time running sulfur sticks around flanges and things to find those stinkers. On a sad note, I lost a good friend years ago connecting a cold storage river barge to unload into a land based anhydrous cryo tank, it is nothing to mess with.

Welded many times with the MSA canister mask with the welding lense in it.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Coldman

The compressor is a sabroe mk1. My wife and daughter developed a chemical free method of shrinking money without further experimentation from me.
Been sucking ammonia for many years now and getting tired of it. Actually looked up the price of a speedglas supplied air helmet and 3 stage compressed air filter the other day. Oh well...mustn't complain about ammonia.
Coldman

I hear Jackson will release a supplied air helmet later this year.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Coldman wrote:...My wife and daughter developed a chemical free method of shrinking money without further experimentation from me...
I know THAT feeling...

Steve S
Coldman

And here it is installed:
R8.jpg
R8.jpg (102.65 KiB) Viewed 469 times
And here is the 1/2" bypass. This sob took longer than the 3" valve. The measurements sent me were wrong, I had to cut and modify and all the existing pipes were on the piss, nothing square or plumb.
R9.jpg
R9.jpg (60.58 KiB) Viewed 469 times
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Nice work, Coldie.

Don't mind saying that ammonia scares the hell out of me. Mind you, most things that run through pipes scare the hell out of me to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the pressure involved.

Kym