Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm planning on going into production on some road racing oil pans made from 5052 Al. Temp will be over 150f service. The charts show that I've got two options 4043 and 5554. The 5554 looks to me like the clear winner according to the charts, so I don't know why it's so hard to find. About the only thing that the 4043 is better for is cracking/ease of welding, but assuming that I can tack with 1/16 4043 and then weld it over with 3/32 5554 I don't see that as being a problem. I've found that I can get 5554, but I would need to buy 10lbs. So whats the problem with the 5554 that nobody wants to use it?
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc

Are you using 5052 because you need to form it?
Richard
Website
Turbo

I'm bending .090 in thick sheet to form the pan and welding it to a 1/4 in flange. The pieces are all waterjet cut.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

How many are you making? I'm guessing a limited number hence your reluctance to buy 10lbs...?
Richard
Website
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

LtBadd wrote:How many are you making? I'm guessing a limited number hence your reluctance to buy 10lbs...?
I second that question as 10lbs of alum will go pretty quick....Ive always used 4043 with 5052, more so because it is more commonly used and I stock some along with 5056.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Turbo

I don't know how many I'll be making. I'm in contact with a company does online retail of these kind of parts. The only thing that could go wrong for me is if Moroso or another company starts making them, and this is unlikely since the car has been out of production for almost 25 years.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy 10lbs of 5554 if I knew it was the right stuff for the job. I was told that tigdepot could get it for me by the pound but he hasn't gotten back to me with a quote. I've talked to two experts and they have both said "the chart says you can weld it with 4043 right"... Basically in their world there are only two kinds of aluminum filler.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

Turbo wrote:I don't know how many I'll be making. I'm in contact with a company does online retail of these kind of parts. The only thing that could go wrong for me is if Moroso or another company starts making them, and this is unlikely since the car has been out of production for almost 25 years.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy 10lbs of 5554 if I knew it was the right stuff for the job. I was told that tigdepot could get it for me by the pound but he hasn't gotten back to me with a quote. I've talked to two experts and they have both said "the chart says you can weld it with 4043 right"... Basically in their world there are only two kinds of aluminum filler.
I recently made my first purchase from TigDepot, I dealt with Joyce who offered excellent customer service.

Reading the Hobart Guide for Aluminum Filler it seems you are right about the 5554 filler, I don't know what the cost is but if you're producing a product to sell then anything less then the correct filler would be detrimental to any chance for future sales. Do not sacrifice on quality!

If the "experts" said it can be welded with 4043 then maybe they didn't have all the information they needed?? Elevated temperatures' as you described exclude 4043 if I read correctly.
Richard
Website
Turbo

The elevated temperature eliminates 5356. The options are 4043, which is easy to weld without solidification cracking, but has low strength and toughness. Or 5554 which is better strength and toughness, but much more likely to have solidification cracking.

I guess I will probably order the 5554 and if I can weld it without solidification cracking then I have a stronger and tougher weld. If it doesn't work I'll sell it by the pound on ebay.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

Turbo

The price isn't even an issue. It's $7/lb vs 5 and that's mostly because I can only find it at Airgas.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Alloy 4943 filler metal was designed to provide a high strength solution with the ease of welding and other advantages of 4043. Alloy 4043 filler metal is a popular aluminum/silicon filler alloy for general purpose welding applications. Alloy 4943 filler metal was formulated to be welded with the same weld procedure specifications as 4043 and does not depend upon dilution from the base metal during welding to increase the strength of the weld deposit, while maintaining the same excellent corrosion characteristics, low melting temperature, low shrinkage rate, higher fluidity, and low hot cracking sensitivity. Welds exhibit low welding smut and low discoloration. MAXAL MIG electrodes have precisely controlled wire diameter, cast and helix, increased column strength and a surface condition that optimizes feedability. These features produce good commutation of electricity, reduced burn backs and produce a stable arc. The surface condition and alloy content control also produces a TIG product with excellent weldability and operator appeal.
Applications: Welding 1xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx (with less than 2.5% Mg) and 6xxx alloys.
(Refer to the MAXAL filler metal selection chart for further guidance in selecting filler metals for welding specific base metals.)
• Automotive/motorcycle frames
• Aerospace hardware
• Wheels
• Ship decks
• Sports products - scooters/bicycles • General repair and maintenance
• Alloy 356 Castings
• Ladders and frames
• Furniture
SHIELDING GAS: 100% Argon (Ar) or Argon/Helium mixtures
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Turbo

I got 10lbs of Alcotech 5554. I haven't even had a tack crack on me. It welds beautifully. No issues other than being raped by Airgas. I may throw a picture up here later.
They list it at ~70$ for 10lb online, but when I called the store they said it was 81$. When I went to pick it up they added a $10.25 "hazmat" charge, so I ended up paying $96 with tax. I vow to never again buy anything from Airgas.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

I would go have a chat with that store manager about their little "hazmat" charge.
There is nothing hazardous about the stuff.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

Airgas charged me a hazmat fee on a cylinder lease and wouldn't relent. Needless to say the cylinders all went back and I haven't bought anything from them since or ever will again.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

zank wrote:Airgas charged me a hazmat fee on a cylinder lease and wouldn't relent. Needless to say the cylinders all went back and I haven't bought anything from them since or ever will again.
I had to go to AirGas the other day out of necessity and as soon as I walked in, I got the attitude that because I am a small buyer, they will get around to me when they are damned good and ready. They are some serious scumbags, at least the shop near me is. I drive 30 miles to a shop to avoid Airgas where their prices are way better, they are glad to see you when you walk in and they load you up with freebies. The only thing you get for free from AirGas is the shitty attitude.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

exnailpounder wrote:.................... The only thing you get for free from AirGas is the shitty attitude.
Airgas is a subsidiary of Air Liquide.............who are a French company. :evil:

No further explanation necessary .
Turbo

Here are the results of the 5554 experiment. Needed to do outside corner joints so this is just a useless practice piece. Tacks didn't crack even while I pounded the 1-2-3 blocks out.
Attachments
20160817_211321.jpg
20160817_211321.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Miller Dynasty 210dx

Turbo

Here is the real project.
Attachments
20160820_174433.jpg
20160820_174433.jpg (42.92 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Miller Dynasty 210dx

soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

kiwi2wheels wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:.................... The only thing you get for free from AirGas is the shitty attitude.
Airgas is a subsidiary of Air Liquide.............who are a French company. :evil:

No further explanation necessary .
However, they don't know this yet. I took an old Air Liquide O2 tank that was out of date there to get exchanged without paying the retest fee. The sales gal had to go ask 4 different people before they did the exchange. Yeah they added a $4.50 hazmat fee too ended up being $40 OTD. 7 welding supplies in a 3 mile radius of my home. Next refill is at the independent supply for about $25 for a 150CF tank.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Turbo, nice job!
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB