Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Least honorable
    Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:38 pm

i have some wheels and some hooks (to tie a chain around to secure an argon bottle) that i need to weld on my welding cart, both of them have some galvanized coating and i will use a flap disk to get most of it off, but are there any more precautions i need to take in order to tig weld it? i know its complete crap to breathe it in,but ill be welding it outside

(not 100% sure the metal that they are made of, ill do a burst tack and file to see if its cast iron, if it is, should i just tig braze it? if the test feels like a mild steel, then ill just say screw it and weld it.)

regards

noah
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Cast iron is not usually zinc plated. Zinc in your weld pool is pita. If you have got it off with the flap diac you're good to go.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depending on what style of hooks they are they might be pot metal of some sort. Either way the tack test will tell you what you need to know.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Most of the time grinding it off works but if it's gotten impregnated you're in for some fun. You could always bolt it.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

You'll become a expert tungsten sharpener if it's impregnated....ugh been there. Flap disc it good at least 1/4" past where you'll be welding.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Sandow
    Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:52 pm

I've been using emt conduit to practice cluster joints and I've been happy just using muriatic (hydrochloric) acid to strip off galvanization. It won't eat iron so just toss it in and when it stops bubbling it is clean. If you then do a few minutes in phosphoric acid, it will give it a thin rust resistant layer that is fine to weld through. It'll still need something as a real rust preventative like paint, powder or black oxide. Handy for stripping mill scale too.

-Sandow
Red-hot iron, white-hot iron, cold-black iron; an iron taste, an iron smell, and a babel of iron sounds.
-Charles Dickens
    Thu May 07, 2015 11:46 am

If you use acid be careful not to breathe the fumes. It might not kill you, but it sure isn't fun to breath. Acid does work well. I also sand blast some stuff.
Freddie
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I often weld small bits of metal at home to practice when I can. Would muriatic acid work for small parts, I.e. nuts, bolts, nails, etc. Especially nuts.
I have tons of hardware at home but I can't grind it good enough to be comfortable welding it in the basement. Most of the items would fit in a pickle jar so it's nothing big.
What would be a good material to make a carriage from, sort of like a fryer basket to lower and raise the pieces in?

Thanks for the help.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Or you might be able to burn it off. I think it's something like 900 deg f to get rid of zinc. 900deg f is about equal to red hot i.e. Visible light emitted from the part. Granted that may make your small parts softer than you want but at least the galv will be gone.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

When using muriatic acid, use it outside.

The fumes will put a brown coating on all bare steel, machine tools, etc.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JHenze646 wrote:...What would be a good material to make a carriage from, sort of like a fryer basket to lower and raise the pieces in?

Thanks for the help.
Stainless steel kitchen sieve. Small one with a handle. Put the acid in an old 8 oz. plastic margarine tub.

Steve S
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Be sure to use your crappiest collet setup. I've got BBs permanently stuck to my gas lens defuser from the last time I welded galvanized.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
JHenze646

Otto Nobedder wrote:
JHenze646 wrote:...What would be a good material to make a carriage from, sort of like a fryer basket to lower and raise the pieces in?

Thanks for the help.
Stainless steel kitchen sieve. Small one with a handle. Put the acid in an old 8 oz. plastic margarine tub.

Steve S
Thank you. This was along the lines that I was thinking.
JHenze646

Turbo wrote:Be sure to use your crappiest collet setup. I've got BBs permanently stuck to my gas lens defuser from the last time I welded galvanized.
Noted. Thank you.
hey_allen
    Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Turbo wrote:Be sure to use your crappiest collet setup. I've got BBs permanently stuck to my gas lens defuser from the last time I welded galvanized.
I've seen some people do a home brew copper plating on the screen in the diffuser to prevent the steel sticking.
I can't remember if it was here or another forum, but it wasn't more than six months back, if I remember correctly.
-Josh
Greasy fingered tinkerer.
Sunset
    Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:27 am

The way I get galvanized off small parts is to sold them in metal prep and when the foaming stops rinse in water and dry off. I have found that grinding smears it and some times does not get it all off.
DSM8
    Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:09 pm

I use the acid all the time to remove the gold plating on grade 8 hardware if I have to weld it.
The gallon I have has lasted me several years and is still more than 1/2 full.

I used a Pyrex container as regular glass can break if you put in too much material since it generates heat. Dont ask how I know this.
Something to be aware of if using plastic containers.

And the fumes...

Yeah be sure to do it outside and upwind of the container if able. Or wear a respirator, the fumes cant always be seen but you KNOW when you breath them.
jethro
    Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 pm

I use lime away--- I guess a less strong acid than muratic....